We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Dublin
1 post
1 review
Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Hi

I'm driving from Vancouver to Calgary in July with my boyfriend, stopping in Kelowna for one / two nights along the way. Neither of us have ever been so haven't a clue where to start for places to stay

Can anyone suggest hotels for such a short stay that are close to activities / restaurants etc? Our budget is mid range - no more than CAD$150 / night would be ideal but willing to pay slightly extra for a really good spot

Also could anyone advise - is there more to do in Kelowna compared to Osoyoos? Want to stay one night in one destination and two nights in the other, but can't decide which

Thanks

Kelowna, Canada
Destination Expert
for Kelowna
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Check out Travelodge on Abbott St. Downtown across from City Park with plenty of restaurants and nightlife. Google kelownaevents.info for things going on in town for the dates you are here. Kelowna is the larger town and probably has more to do but depends what interests you. Enjoy your stay in the Okanagan.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,565 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Hi there, and welcome to TA.

Here is the list of attractions from the Things to Do to the left sidebar of this forum.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154933-Activiti…

And here is the list for Osoyoos:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g181723-Activiti…

It may help you to know that each forum page is set up with Things to Do and Travel Guide, along with *City* Hotels in the sidebar to the left. Also, to the top right of each forum page you'll find Top Questions which answer the more commonly asked questions.

At the top of the British Columbia forum, you will find a Trip Report Collection. They are each identified by trip itinerary so you might be able to benefit from reading what other visitors have done in the area you are interested in.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k42028…

You might also find www.hellobc.com helpful for your research.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
244 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Hello fifi,

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive into Kelowna(30 minutes or so) you could stay in Summerland. My wife and I stayed at the Summerland Waterfront Resort Hotel. This was a very nice hotel with a great restaurant called Local, right next door. We were pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Chris

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
174 reviews
4. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Kelowna is a huge city, Osoyoos is very small. It depends what you want to do for activities. Night life in Kelowna. Lots of places to eat. Huge accomodation selection. Osoyoos you will definitely want to book ahead for July. It has some funky spots. Penticton is in between for size and location. There are lots of water activities in all three places.

On the main drive through Kelowna (the Hwy also known as Harvey) there are two motels on either side of Gordon Rd - the Kelowna Motor Inn and the Accent Inn. Both are reasonable prices if you are just looking for a place to sleep and no extravagance. And both are close to downtown.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
132 reviews
5. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

Another vote for the Abbott Street Travelodge. We've stayed there several times and I love the location! Close to everything - city park, beaches, the boardwalk, downtown, restaurants...

Edmonton
5 posts
6. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

July long weekend has an event called Centre of Gravity. A big congregation of people where you can enjoy live music and sports right downtown! Awesome time! It goes from all day to all night!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
201 reviews
7. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

IslandWest has given you an excellent analysis. What I might add to it is that you need to consider driving. If you stay in Kelowna (or Penticton) then you can continue on to Vancouver quite quickly. From Osoyoos it will take you longer. If however what you are interested in is scenery then a night in Kelowna, a night in Osoyoos (visit one of the desert centres) and on to Vancouver via Highway 3 will give you wonderful scenery. Whatever you decide, have fun.

8. Re: Kelowna July Holiday - what to do and where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:17