We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

We are going to be staying in Whistler and want to go shopping for kids clothes like children's place, GAP etc. whistler seems to only have winter wear clothes etc. where is the nearest big shopping centre? Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,506 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Yogobear;

This forum is primarily about the Province of British Columbia in general.

You would be better to post your question on the Whistler forum, where you are most likely to receive qualified replies. That forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154948-i400-Whistl…

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

HI Yogobear,

Don't mind Rescue Team, he gets a bit pedantic about the rules around here.

Your nearest shopping centre would be Squamish, about half way back to Vancouver, but you won't find those sorts of outlets there I don't think. For a major shopping trip, you need to come right back to Vancouver.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

There's actually a sign on the way to Whistler about 'outlet centres' being located in Squamish-which I have never managed to locate-odd because Squamish isn't all that big a place.

So don't be led astray-Vancouver has what you want.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

I was just having a roam about on Google streetview, just to see what's there. I know they have all the major commercial stores now - Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, the major grocery stores, etc. But I'm with you Sam (not that I've ever really stopped to shop in Squamish, so I wouldn't really know) - I don't think they have some of the more commercial and brand name stores yet. I'm sure its coming however.....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,301 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Hi Yogobear ~

If you want stores like the Gap, you will not find anything of that kind in Squamish. There is simply no market there. You will find Walmart and Fields (a Cdn chain). There's Agnes Jean Boutique on Cleveland and a couple of consignment stores.

If you will be in Vancouver, you will find higher end children's clothing. West Vancouver has Park Royal that could take a few bucks out of your wallet quite easily. It's about a 90 min drive from Whistler. BTW, it's just about winter here, so all the stores will be heavy on winter clothing inventory. PR is here:

http://tinyurl.com/3hd479q

Here's the website and directory:

http://www.shopparkroyal.com/

Edited: 17 October 2011, 11:38
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Further to what is in Squamish, I can assure you all that the best draw in Squamish is the Howe Sound Brewing Company! That is reason alone to turn into town and head to the waterfront. Baring that, visit the Liquor Store in Whistler to try some of their excellent selection of craft beers.

http://www.howesound.com/home.aspx

I fear the day there is an outlet mall in either Squamish or Whistler..

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Park Royal in West Vancouver would be the "last chance" for the type of stores you are looking for before driving north to Whistler-

http://www.shopparkroyal.com/

It has a Gap Kids, and a Gymboree if you are familiar with that retail outlet, but not a Children's Place.

Can you tell us a bit more about your trip? For example, are you travelling up to Whistler from YVR (Vancouver International Airport)? Is this query just about filling a day of your trip while you are at Whistler, or are there particular items you want to go home with?

The reason I ask is because there is a Children's Place (as well as Gap Kids and Gymboree) at Richmond Centre - which is easily accessible from YVR via the Canada Line (rapid transit) -

www.richmondcentre.com/en/Pages/default.aspx

Edit - cross-posted with Mufti

Edited: 17 October 2011, 11:51
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

I agree that Park Royal is likely your best bet. However, there is a GAP in Whistler. It's on Main Street.

4308 Main Street, Whistler

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Thanks everyone, we are going to whistler for a snowboarding trip. We live in Japan and want to buy clothes, shoes etc as its cheaper in Canada and we have the same seasons as Canada. I will have a look at Park Royal. I also want to visit Walmart, which one would be the closest? We are not going to hire a car.

Thanks

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big shopping centre/mall near whistler

Thanks everyone, we are going to whistler for a snowboarding trip. We live in Japan and want to buy clothes, shoes etc as its cheaper in Canada and we have the same seasons as Canada. I will have a look at Park Royal. I also want to visit Walmart, which one would be the closest? We are not going to hire a car.

Thanks