We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiting for the train

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Waiting for the train

So we have to check out of hotel at noon and the train only leaves at midnight..What to do all day? HAng out at the MAll. dinner,movie etc? Do they lockers there to store our bags? Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waiting for the train

The train station is located well north of the city centre - pretty far out from anything else. As there only a few trains per day, I don't think the station is even open all day long nor has any services. It's not a place people wait for extended periods, so I doubt there are any lockers.

I don't know of any place that has short term storage lockers in Edmonton, so your best bet is probably to see if the hotel can store your bags for the day. It's pretty common for hotels to do that for guests before/after they've checked in/out.

As to activities, when is your trip? With a combo of public transport and uber/taxis, you have plenty of choices. Doubt the mall would be terribly interesting. Perhaps walk in the river valley, go to the Muttart, go the art museum. Explore Whyte Avenue.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Whyte Avenue
Whyte Avenue
1,122 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waiting for the train

I called the Mall and they have luggage lockers. MAybe dinner and a movie?I see they have Bowling too.Thanks for the rply.

3. Re: Waiting for the train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2018, 22:04

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waiting for the train

If you like history, a day at Ft Edmonton park is really cool. Beautifully nestled in our wonderful river valley along the North Saskatchewan. It has a Hudson Bay fort, different streets representing pioneer days of Edmonton’s history with ppl in period costume. You could easily spend a day there. There is public transportation if you don’t have a vehicle.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park
1,602 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waiting for the train

I have a lot of questions: Did you check to make sure the dimensions of the lockers are big enough for your luggage? What hotel have you decided to stay at? How will you get to the mall from there? And from there to the train station?

The reason I ask is that from your other threads, I understood you were arriving with a rental car from Calgary. Did those plans change? If you will have a rental car, when and where are you dropping it off?

The simplest thing in my mind would be to keep the car, returning it as late, and as most conveniently as possible. You can usually drop off the car in a different location (for a fee), and return the car after the drop off location has closed (using a drop box for the keys). Then you can have the day at your leisure and go wherever you like. I don't know what firm you are renting from. Perhaps if you let us know we can check your options.

A huge concern to me would be that you have decided to stay at that Travelodge Edmonton South you mentioned in another thread and you won't have a car. Among the other transportation concerns, on this particular day I wonder how you will get to the mall with the luggage? How will you get from the mall to the train station? (If you are unwilling to pay for a decent hotel I don't see how you paying for taxis that day. Getting to the mall from that hotel on the bus is not a big problem, but from West Edmonton Mall to the train station, it is. And the train station won't open until 9:30pm - not that you would want to be there that early - but still, you will be navigating your way at night.)

Would you be able to answer some of these questions for us to give you some better help?

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Travelodge Edmonton South
Travelodge Edmonton South
465 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
West Edmonton Mall
West Edmonton Mall
3,745 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waiting for the train

HI McWhippet We are only bringing carryon so am sure it will fit.I cANCELLED MY HOTEL IN South Edmonton AND AM STILL UNSURE. tHOUGHT ABOUT STAYING AT THE MALL HOTELOops caps lock Sorry.Not sure if I am renting a car from Calgary as now we might take a bus and then the shuttle from one town to another.Thinking about using Uber in Edmonton? Don't think it will be too expensive?/ My plans are still up in the air.. Need to figure it out soon thou.Thanks for the help. All ideas appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waiting for the train

Based on another post, this trip is October 14-21, so Ft. Edmonton will not be open. The late date also means that there is potential for some less than ideal weather - snow, sleet etc.

I think you will find that renting a car will be far, far easier. By the time you deal with getting to and from the bus stations, hotels etc., it's going to be a real pain. Especially if the weather isn't good. And you've indicated in other posts that you are going to Banff/Lake Louise. By mid October only airport shuttles will be running, so getting between Banff and Lake Louise will be more expensive and logistically challenging. Plus with increasing chances of wintry weather, having a car will give you flexibility to visit places in the best weather and not be stuck waiting for transport in iffy weather.

And then by the time you add up all the airport shuttles, Ubers, taxis, local buses, and shuttles between places, a rental is likely car cheaper. Especially in mid October which is very much the off season here.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Edmonton Park
Fort Edmonton Park
1,602 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waiting for the train

OK thanks.. So rent a car from Calgary and bring it back there I guess. Thanks so much.Trying to do what is easiest for us but u may be right.. Is the drive from Calgary to Canmore on good roads?

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waiting for the train

Yes. It is on the major East-West highway in Canada.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waiting for the train

Its the Trans Canada Hwy, divided, mostly four lane, and can be very busy, so be awake!

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Reply to: Waiting for the train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted