We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Day in Edmonton

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Canada Day in Edmonton

Hi all, I have just worked out I'll be in Edmonton on 1st July this year whilst on vacation which I believe is Canda's national day. Well their be any special festivities and things to see on that day? Also as 1st July is a Sunday, will Monday also be a public holiday?

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
11 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

Yes Monday is a holiday.

There will no doubt be celebrations with fireworks, etc. on July 1st. Keep your eye on the Edmonton tourism site for details.

https:/…july

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

Thank you

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

Yes, Monday, July 2 will be a statutory holiday.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

where are you staying? there are several locations for celebrations and fireworkss. my favorite is in the park in millwoods on the south side of edmonton

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

When I go to fireworks in Edmonton, the Millwoods location is the only place I've ever watched them from. It's a good display and has gotten better over the years, and there is a bunch of stuff put on during the evening and maybe even during the day (?) there before the fireworks. The downsides are that I don't think the show is as impressive as the downtown fireworks, and the viewing area in Millwoods park is looking northwest towards the fireworks, which means you are looking at the brightest part of the sky, and on a clear day there is still quite a bit of light in the sky as they shoot the fireworks off at 11 p.m. and at that time of year the Sun will have just set an hour earlier and will still be casting quite a strong twilight glow.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

I'm staying at Wingate By Wyndham Leduc Edmonton Airport, but will have a rental car, however more likely Uber at night time so I can enjoy the festivities.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

The U of A residence offer nightly accommodations if basic is ok with you. Two beds per room but shared kitchen and TV lounges. I think it’s about $65 per night. Probably a 20-25 minute walk to the main part of Whyter Avenue Or there are buses.

If you can afford it stay at the Materra on Whyte. I’d get a north facing room as Whyte Ave can get noisy when all the bars let out.

Chateau Lacombe looks like it would be about $149 but they offer free parking if available. Buses from there to all over.

If in town on the 20…go to the “taste of Edmonton”. Some good food and a beer garden with bands.

Days Inn $119…check on parking cost

leduc is south of edmonton so the millwoods clebration would work. bands play prior to the fireworks. family event so no alcohol in the park. across the street is "millwoods town centre" and there is a pub there if you wanted to have a drink there and then return to the park. only residential street parking if you bring your car.

http://seedmonton.ca/news/22nd-Canada-Day you need to take some of your own time to do research. i know people who want to go out for breakfast, lunch, and high end dinners. me.i'll go to a grocery store and buy some cheese, crackers, milk, fruit and muffins which i will eat for breakfast every day. don't eat lunch. dinner...i like going fancy every 3 or so days but otherwise, a cheap pick bick outside is what i like. so you need to do some research on your own. look at menus and prices at different restaurants.

Bo’didley’s pub

Mentioned in this post
Chateau Lacombe Hotel
Chateau Lacombe Hotel
551 Reviews
Edmonton, Canada
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

ignore my reply able...posted it on the the wrong question

leduc is south of edmonton so the millwoods clebration would work. bands play prior to the fireworks. family event so no alcohol in the park. across the street is "millwoods town centre" and there is a pub there if you wanted to have a drink there and then return to the park. only residential street parking if you bring your car.

http://seedmonton.ca/news/22nd-Canada-Day you need to take some of your own time to do research. i know people who want to go out for breakfast, lunch, and high end dinners. me.i'll go to a grocery store and buy some cheese, crackers, milk, fruit and muffins which i will eat for breakfast every day. don't eat lunch. dinner...i like going fancy every 3 or so days but otherwise, a cheap pick bick outside is what i like. so you need to do some research on your own. look at menus and prices at different restaurants.

Bo’didley’s pub

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

You could celebrate Canada Day in Leduc too - that would be fun, and give you a local 'small town' feel. When you are doing your research, bear in mind that last year was Canada's 150th, so celebrations all over were larger than usual. But you can always expect something like a pancake breakfast and fireworks at night.

This is link is for last year's celebration in Leduc. Watch for updates happening soon:

https:/…celebrate-canada-day-leduc

Monday will be a statutory holiday which will not infringe on tourist activities very much. You will find that many shops and restaurants will still be open. (Smaller, independent shops are more likely to be closed.) Banks will be closed.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canada Day in Edmonton

Also something to consider is that if you do head to downtown Edmonton and you are driving a car while you are here, you may want to park at Century Park transit station and take the LRT (stands for Light Rail Transit) in. There will be special late-night service.

This is the link to the City of Edmonton's Canada Day page. Again, not a lot of information yet. Watch for updates:

https:/…celebrate-canada-day-in-edmonton.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Reply to: Canada Day in Edmonton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;