We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary hotel before and after Canadian Rockies trip

Which Calgary hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san juan
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Calgary hotel before and after Canadian Rockies trip

Will need your help regarding hotel selections for Calgary before and after our trip to Banff, Jasper and Yoho. We are looking for nothing expensive (around 100-140 US), just a nice place to rest after our Canadian Rockies trip. Will like to be near a C-train station for good access to city center and other places. Question: Should I return my car after doing the Rockies and later take public transport or taxi to the airport?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary hotel before and after Canadian Rockies trip

Hi, from your other thread I assume there will be 5 of you? Many hotels limit room occupancy to 4. Are you willing to get two hotel rooms and/or raise your budget? A suite hotel with 2 bedrooms will cost you around $300/night + tax.

The Best Western Freeport Inn could be a good place for your first night, but you will need to book two rooms which will cost about the same as a suite hotel. The BW offers a discount to those 55 & older. Since you are arriving in the evening with elderly traveling companions, it might be nice to get to your hotel quickly, especially if you've been flying all day. In the morning there is a complimentary breakfast, and then you are a short drive to Stony Trail to bypass the city and head to the Rockies. For a more scenic drive, I'd suggest taking Hwy. 1A (Bow Valley Trail) rather than Hwy. 1; perhaps on your drive back to Calgary since it looks like you have a full first day planned for Lake Louise.

Hopefully, others will recommend a hotel for your time in Calgary after the Rockies.

~Natasha

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary hotel before and after Canadian Rockies trip

Since I live in Calgary I don't actually stay in many hotels here, however I have had many friends and relatives stay at the Holiday Inn on 16th Ave NE & 19th St NE and therefore I have actually seen the rooms there, and they are nice. They also have comfortable beds according to the people I know that have stayed there. If I recall correctly, I beleive the standard rooms cost around $120 per night, but that would be a room with 2 beds, so likley could not accomodate a group of 5 people unless you either get a cot or book 2 rooms.

However, I think that the location would be good for you as it is a short distance from the Barlow/Max Bell C-Train station (which is a short bus ride or drive up 19th St. NE from the hotel). You can also drive and park your car at the C-train station there if you prefer. It is also a very short train ride to the downtown core from this station (~ 10 mins) and only 1 stop from the Calgary Zoo station. In addition to this, it is relatively close to the airport, and I believe this particular hotel has a free airport shuttle service if you decide to return your car early rather than keep it for your stay in Calgary.

Here is a link to the Holiday Inn website: holidayinn.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

Edited: 12 May 2012, 01:51
san juan
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary hotel before and after Canadian Rockies trip

Thanks Canadian...and Canadian 071 for your replies. Sorry for the late response (had been really busy, busy). We are now just three travelers (my wife, my mom and me). Still need a hotel near a C-Train station and, if possible, near an Avis, Hertz, Enterprise Car rentals (will not be renting at aiport due to high taxes).

Gilberto

4. Re: Calgary hotel before and after Canadian Rockies trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:42