We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in June 9th-14th

Tyler, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Trip in June 9th-14th

Hello My husband and I are from Texas and we are going on vacation to Calgary, Canada June 9th-14th.

We were planning on checking out Lake Louise in Banff. and hopefully drive further up North and see the Northern Lights one night. We are also planning on going to the sky walk glaciers.

The questions I have are what to wear in the beginning of June?? and how cold is 60 F in June for Canada. and any tips or suggestions while visiting. This is a once in a lifetime experience for us so we don't want to miss out.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
14 replies to this topic
calgary
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

You're going to have to drive really, really far to see the Northern Lights in June.

Are you planning on staying in Calgary and doing day trips to Banff, etc? That is not a good use of your time as its a 1.5 hour drive each way so three hours added to your day. Finid accommodation in Banff or Canmore.

60F is 60F whether its in Canada or the US (although we use the metric system so that would be 15C) You'll want to dress in layers with the outside jacket being waterproof. Easier to take layers off, then add something you don't have.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Canmore
Canmore
Kananaskis Country, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Tyler, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

Okay thank you! and we tried to find hotels near there but they were out of our price range... Do you suggest a thick heavy jacket or lighter jacket?

calgary
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

A light jacket with a sweater underneath should suffice.

So you couldn't find hotels in Banff or Canmore in your price range and are staying in Calgary instead??

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Canmore
Canmore
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

What websites have you been using in your hotel/accommodation search? You should be using websites for the hotel/B&B, not third party sites. In places like Canmore and Banff, there's a huge demand for accommodation, so places will place very few - or even no - rooms on third party sites that charge fees/commissions.

For Banff, all legal accommodations are listed at www.banfflakelouise.com -- start your search there. Canmore has lots of options, so I'd keep looking. I would even look in Dead Mans Flats etc. before Calgary - by the time you factor in all the fuel/time used commuting to and from Calgary, you probably won't end up saving anything.

And actually, in June, going north probably means less of chance of seeing the Northern Lights -- the days will be even longer there. Northern Lights tend to be a winter/spring/fall thing - i.e. when there's enough darkness that you can see them when they occur.

Mentioned in this post
Canmore
Canmore
Banff
Banff
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

Driving from Calgary to Banff every day is a false economy, and a massive waste of time.

Did you look at Canmore? If you totally can't find something in your range there, and are not actually seeing much of Calgary you would do better to check out the town of Cochrane which is roughly halfway between Calgary and Banff. Still not ideal though.

As for clothes. It could be 60, it could be 85. Bring some sort of warm jacket, maybe gloves and a hat. You don't need a full on Parka.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Canmore
Canmore
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

It kinda depends on you... at 15C (60F) a lot of Canadians wouldn't bother with jackets, while some of my friends from warmer climates would be in parkas. The best thing to do is have multiple light layers so you can adjust as you go.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

Maybe give us a budget you are hoping to stay under and we can help a bit because I would absolutely hate to see you make that drive everyday! The gas alone would offset some of your savings saved in Calgary.

Ps...it was +10C here last weekend in Calgary...paths were full of people jogging in t-shirts and shorts (myself included)...but we are used to it:) This winter has been way too long!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

And in early June it could be anywhere from 25 F to 70F. Mostly likely to around 60-65F during the day, depending on elevation and at least into the low 50s at night, quite possibly 40s. It can snow, rain, sleet or be sunny any day of the year.

So yes, bring layers. You'll likely find it chillier than what you are used to, while locals will be in t-shirts and shorts. In late fall/early winter we might moan about the cold, but by April/May/June, 10c is practically tropical!

Tyler, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

Well hotel budget wise we would like to be under $700 total for the 9th-14th. Calgary seems to have the cheapest hotel prices for us that's why we were just gonna drive.

Is there anything to do fun in Calgary? or another town??

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Tyler, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip in June 9th-14th

What places or things to do is a must while we are up there??

Reply to: Trip in June 9th-14th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted