We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

india
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

Hi

I see a lot of posts mentioning a surcharge with airport pick up of a rental car.

Approximately how much will the difference be for a compact rental?

Does it make sense if we pick u the car from an off airport location and drop it off at the airport on our way back?

Does the taxi charge to the off airport location cancel out the surcharge.

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

It does....it all depends on how much time you want to spend on this, but I did the numbers several months ago, and even with the $20-30 cab ride, it is much cheaper to cab outside the airport to rent. Doing a few "1 week" examples, I'm seeing prices over $100-$250 cheaper!

india
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

Does the airport surcharge not apply if one picks up the car at a off airport location but returns it at the airport??

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

No. It generally doesn't.

But, don't take our word for it; why don't you see for yourself? Go to Hertz/Avis/Enterprise websites, and search for rates picking up in northeast Calgary area and dropping off at YYC. Nice and easy to get an exact answer on what it will cost you.

Remember, it's not a "surcharge" you're trying to avoid. It's avoiding a higher daily rental rate.

Edited: 16 April 2018, 03:01
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

Edit to add... my comment about "No it doesn't" refers to the second question, about does the airport surcharge not apply on airport drop offs. Not the first question about whether the savings offset the cost of a taxi, to which the answer is almost always, "yes it does"!

If you're only renting for a day or two, just rent at the airport. Any more than that, and your additional rental cost will likely exceed the $25 you will pay for a taxi.

india
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport

Got it.

Thank you for your prompt replies

Reply to: Car Rental airport pick up vs off airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted