We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

Hi, I am at Vancouver, and am planning to go to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary during the last week of August. My husband and I, as a young couple, plan to spend 7 days for this trip and I am the only one driving.

I wonder how many days I should stay at each location, and how I should plan this trip? I mean whether from Vancouver, Jasper, LL, Banff to Calgary then come back to Van, or Van-Banff-LL-Calgary-Jasper-Van?

Thank you!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

Hello Lucy. Seven days is short. Do you plan on just seeing the sites, or do you enjoy something more active?

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

This is a real tight itinerary and if you're the only driver, it's going to be tiring for you.

First: GET A MAP.

Day 1: I would consider breaking up the trip from Vancouver to Banff and keeping it flexible on your first day of driving. Maybe you'll make it to Kamloops or further afield to Salmon Arm or Revelstoke. No need to make a reservation.

Day 2: Early AM - Drive towards Banff. It could be a 4-6 hours.

In the afternoon: Visit Yoho, Emerald Lake and Takakkaw Falls. These wonderful places are only 1 hour from Banff and located near Field, BC. Stop by the Info Centre on the highway in Field. Continue your drive to Banff - get a hotel for 3 nights. Arrive Banff in the evening.

Day 3: One day in Banff.

Day 4: Day trip into Banff National Park: 1/2 day in Banff area and 1/2 day in Lake Louise - stay in Banff.

Day 5: All day drive to Jasper along the Icefields Parkway. Stopping to visit all of the viewpoints along the way and visiting the Columbia Icefields Glacier Centre. Arriving Jasper late day, early evening.

Day 6: Day in Jasper. I would plan on driving 4 hours on this day back towards Vancouver so you don't have to try and drive non-stop to Vancouver.

Day 7: Drive back to Vancouver.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

Perhaps you can drop Jasper from the itinerary? That way you will get some hiking time (banff, lake louise) and then city time (calgary).

Edited: 24 May 2012, 05:55
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

That is a great suggestion. Instead, you could do a day trip on the Icefields Parkway to the Columbia Icefields. You would also have better knowlege of what's in store for you on the drive home.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

If you are renting a car, I would consider driving one way to Calgary and flying back. Since you are in Vancouver and probably driving your own car, I would consider dropping Calgary. Then your route would be Vancouver to Kamloops to Jasper to Lake Louise to Banff. Now you could back track to Lake Louise and take the trans Canada or take Kootenay 93 to Radium and up to Golden. Longer drive, but makes for less back tracking. This is serious driving, though. The drive from Kamloops to Jasper can be monotonous. It's a pretty drive but there are long stretches of very straight road lined with trees for mile after mile after mile. Unless you can do a 9 to 10 hour drive, twice. I would make a less ambitious choice.

6. Re: 7-day travel plan to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:42