We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

Hopeffully this is not too long, I had some questions posted previously on this fforum at

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k5165…

Thanks TA ffolks for the help and thank you Canada ffor a wonderful experience. The skiing was ffantastic, I’m sure some of the places will be skiing well into June with the current snow base. This was a spring break trip with my 17 yo son a green transitioning to blue level skier. TA member, banfflakelouise was right, the scenery really does knock your socks off. I’ve skied the American Rockies in Colorado, Utah, and Montana, and this is a whole new level of stunning beauty. Sunday we took in the Banff Gondola and hiked up to the observatory. The hike is on a board walk stairs and not too stressfful if you’re considering it. We stayed at Hidden Ridge which had discounted lifft passes and a discount for equipment rental through Ultimate in Banff. A great place to stay. We skied Norquay on Monday which my son ffound a bit challenging on the blue runs. The top end was a bit steep and intimidating ffor him to where his skills were regressing. We also ffound his boots were a bit too small so we made a quick trip back to Ultimate in town for a different pair. This really was no big deal as the hill is only a ffew minutes from town. It’s taken me longer to walk ffrom liffts to equipment rental at some places. Tuesday we went to Lake Louise where I signed him up ffor an all day lesson. They have a great lifft/lesson package that you can only get directly through the ski school. My son was a different skier by the end of the day! Great work by instructor Dave McT! My son got better each day affter that. I did not have a chance to take advantage of their Mountain Host program ffor ffree mountain tours but I’d highly recommend it based on what others have said. I skied the Larch area and Ptarmigan lift most of the day. Wednesday we visited Sunshine. We accidentally got off the gondola at Goats Eye. You mean this thing goes even ffarther? We went up and skied Strawberry and Standish liffts in the morning going over to Angel Express in the affternoon. During the day my son worked ffrom green to blue runs. I think overall the runs here are bit more challenging than runs of the same color in the American Rockies. Just my opinion. Thursday we went back to Lake Louise where my son wanted to work blue runs off the Larch and Ptarmigan lifts. Ffriday after about 10 cm of new snow we went to Sunshine as did a lot of powder hounds. I think it snowed about 10 cm more during the day. The visibility was down to about 100m due to snow at times. We took an early lunch and then went to Wawa lifft affter looking ffor some calmer conditions. Lower elevations got better as the day went on but it was still windy at the top the rest of the day. Avalanche control explosions could be heard all day. Fflat visibility at times was challenging. We skied off the Divide lifft and it’s neat to brieffly go into British Columbia. For the last run of the day and trip my son chose to go up Goats Eye and take Sunshine Coast down then on to Way Out ffor a total 3000 ffoot elevation change . It was great to watch his conffidence build with each run and this last one was a really ffun. People asked us which area we liked the best…wow..tough question. Overall it was Lake Louise. Snow was a bit better at Sunshine but on some green runs you are on fflat areas and poling a lot. Different skiers of different skills will certainly have different opinions. I used to ski the western US annually before real life took over so I was ffired up to do some more challenging stuff, maybe even Delirium Dive but I hit only a ffew double blacks which was probably the smart thing to do ffor a 1954 model year body. I really enjoyed the scenery, skiing, and hospitality. I wish I had more time to explore Banff proper but at the end of the day we were wiped. We did eat out a ffew times at Bear Street Tavern ffor Pizza, Elk and the Oarsman ffor bison burgers, and St. James Gate Irish Pub ffor ffish and chips. All were great. We stopped twice at the local Safeway which has a great selection of food but it was very busy between 5 and 7 PM. We also chose to rent a car in Calgary rather than use the bus services which for me gave us more flexibility and avoided waiting for busses. I guess I’m too much of an American to give up my car. Thanks again Canada for a world class experience.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,028 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

I'm not a skier, but after reading your report I found myself wanting to get up in the mountains to try it. Then I remembered Phoenix in late March and changed my mind. lol. You sound pumped! So glad everything met your expectations. Thanks for posting.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

We're always glad to hear when people have an outstanding experience! Our ski resorts saw a LOT of snow throughout the month of March and the riding is outstanding right now.

...and it's a beautiful day in Banff:

http://www.explorerockies.com/banff-webcam/

And in Lake Louise:

www.skilouise.com/conditions/mountain-cam.php

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

Thanks so much for posting your ski trip report! It's always great to get feedback - positive and negative - about TA members' experiences.

Normally I would add your trip report to this TripAdvisor Traveller Article that lists all Canadian Rockies trip reports, but I can't do that right now due to a bug:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c123791/Canad…

I'll keep trying, because it would be a shame not to add this to the list.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

Okay, it's all sorted out now. Three cheers for Firefox, my new best friend!

5. Re: Ffantastic Banff ski trip report.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:41