We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

I am traveling to the Banff area in mid June with three teenage girls who love to hike. We are currently planning on the Johnston Canyon Hike with ink pots and maybe the Plain of Six Glaciers if it has thawed enough by then. We have two full days in Banff (three nights) and then are heading out to Jasper to see the icefields on the way and hike there.

1.) With only two full days in Banff, what hikes should we do?

2.) Are the hot springs worth it to take time away from hiking? Any other special things we should try?

3.) What is the best 4-5 hr hike in the Jasper area?

Thanks!!

14 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
980 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

In Jasper Mt Robson Provincial Park and the Kinney Lake Hike. Mt Robson PP is in BC....about an hour west of Jasper.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

About the hot springs, it really depends on you. I love hot springs, but they are basically just a hot swimming pool so if that doesn't interest you, they're not worth it. If you have a rainy, cold day and/or sore muscles, the worthiness increases.

Calgary
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

depending on the age of the kids, I think you should very seriously consider this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvqZz8ZAaY it is a LOT of fun, the views are insane, the guides are fantastic, it's amazing how quickly you build your confidence, you meet fun people, you challenge yourself a bit, and if you can climb a ladder, you can do this. Check out their great reviews here on TA.

Lake Worth, FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

I'm doing the same research for my family trip with two teenage girls, so we're in the same boat! :) For Jasper, I've been eyeing either Bald Hills loop, which is 8+miles and rated as hard. The other is Sulphur SkylineTrail, which is right at Miette Hot Springs. That trail is 5 miles, not as hard and more heavily trafficked. Love to hear what you've learned too. Have a safe trip!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,567 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

Fivez, the Sulphur Skyline hike is rated as "difficult", mainly because of the 2300 feet of elevation gain in 4 km. (2.5 miles). It's 8 km/5 miles, round trip. The Bald Hills hike is rated as "difficult", 10.4 km round trip, and 500 metres of elevation gain. That is only to the hitching post look-out though, and there really isn't much view there - in my opinion, you really need to do the loop in the upper meadows above there to make it worthwhile. I don't know the exact distance for this, but the upper loop probably adds 3 or 4 km, and more elevation gain. The elevation gain is spread out over a longer distance though, so it isn't as steep and doesn't seem as hard as the Sulphur Skyline.

Both of these hikes are typically accessible fairly early in the hiking season - some years by early June. This isn't going to be one of those years though. Hopefully by mid-June, they will be. Keep an eye on the online trail report - https://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tcond/cond_e.asp…

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

Krp is right, the Sulphur Skyline is a wicked tough hike unless you are in shape aerobically as the initial section ascending from the Miette Hot Springs is excruciatingly steep. Beautiful views at the top though. I love Bald Hills as a day hike especially if you make it a full day and can spend a couple hours up in the meadow with a sandwich and just soak up the scenery looking down on Maligne Lake. You can do it in a few hours, but just sitting up there and admiring nature is music for the soul.

While, I agree with the contributor on hot springs being a swimming pool, I think Miette Hot Springs is an exception. It is nestled in a tight valley and gives you a sense of being present in the mountains not achievable in the much more in my opinion hot springs in Banff or Radium. We enjoy heading up there in the evening for a good soak to relax those muscles. It is less crowded in the early evening. Being you will be there in June it likely won’t get that dark until 9’ish.

Kinney and Mount Robson is an excellent suggestion as there seems to be a bit of a micro climate there and usually the lower trails are snow free earlier. Frankly though, if you are looking for day hikes, I personally believe you will find more to offer in Banff or Kootenay NP. The trails might be, but not necessarily snow free being further south as well. I have experienced snow clogged trails in shady areas on July 1 even at lower elevations in some years in Banff NP and mtn passes being no go zones. I hate wet feet.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 21:56
Lake Worth, FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

Thanks so much for the great info (and love your golden pic!). I booked marked the link you sent.

Any hikes you would suggest in Jasper that are at moderate to difficult NOT snowed in?? Or perhaps another suggestion near Maligne Lake? Hopefully by the time we arrive, really the last week of June, the conditions will improve.

Lake Worth, FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

This looks awesome! Which tour did you do?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,937 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

Agreed on Miette Hot Spring - with two larger pools and a cold plunge pool, it has more to offer - and I enjoy the scenery as well. Yes, evenings are the better option - cooler and less crowded.

Maligne Lake is at a fairly high elevation, so other than Bald Hills, the trails tend to be snow free later rather than earlier. And I believe there is at least one trail closure at the moment for trail repairs.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)

I have not done it, but on the opposite side from Bald Hills is Opal Hills. Every time I have wanted to do it there has been a grizzly sow warning, but that was years ago, she might have moved on, you can check at the Park office in Jasper. In my opinion there are not a lot of good day hikes in the Jasper area.

Reply to: Ideas for Mid June Trip (Banff/Jasper)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted