We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

Hello! Needing some guidance here. We are heading to the Rockies for May 24 - 28th. Hotels/Cities we are staying in each night are listed below. We need help with what areas to explore during the days due to some of the areas still being frozen and some areas closed for hiking. We like moderate level hiking, and would love to see some wildlife (grizzlies). We also enjoy good restaurants with views, and breweries. Any recommendations would be great!

May 24th - Land in Calgary, get rental car, staying downtown Calgary (Fairfield Inn and Suites on 12th Ave)

May 25th - Up early and driving to Banff, staying at Moose Hotel and Suites.

May 26th - Staying at Fairmont Lake Louise

May 27th - Staying at Fairmont Lake Louise

May 28th - Get up and drive back to airport, Flight out of Calgary at noon.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Moose Hotel and Suites
Moose Hotel and Suites
949 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
974 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

What time does your flight land in Calgary? It's only a couple hour drive to Banff....skip staying in Calgary and head straight to the mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
cold canadian
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

Check out the Banff & Lake Louise web site they are a few new tours unders site seeing. These will let you see the town.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Lake Worth, FL
Level Contributor
30 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

Plain of Six Glaciers is a moderate and pretty hike to the far side of Lake Louise. Since you're staying there, it's a perfect one to do especially before the crowds arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

Hi there,

If you're staying downtown, I personally recommend checking out the restaurants on 17th avenue. Plenty to choose from, and some of my favourites are located on this street. It's roughly a 14 minute walk from your hotel, but you'll also get to explore Calgary's downtown a little bit. This depending on what time you arrive and if you're up for walking around a bit.

In Banff, there is a hiking trail called "Tunnel Mountain", it's relatively easy, depending on your experience as a hiker can be from either 2.5 hrs to 1 hr each way. It's a smaller mountain, however the view is amazing as you go up the hill. You get to see Banff from almost a bird's-eye-view. You may also go up the Banff gondola, and then walk along the trail/path they have created, it will be a bit chilly up top because the mountain is high, but not too bad (unless unaccustomed to cold weather).

For Lake Louise, I suggest walking on one of the paths to the teahouse(s), there are two of them. It is also relatively short, but if you wish to continue after the tea house there are more trails to choose from. I have done "The Beehive" which was past the "Lake Agnus Tea House". I definitely recommend this hike, it can be tough at times, but it makes the end goal that much better. It is mostly uphill after the teahouse, and there are trees so you won't be able to see the view the whole time, but the view near the end then surprises you. I did this hike in my teen years, and I have never forgotten it. The "Lake Agnus Tea House" is a moderate hike. For a shorter and more simpler hike, "Moraine Lake" is another good choice, roughly 45 minutes and not too steep or barely incline at all.

Another moderate hike I recommend is "Plain of Six Glaciers", you will pass a different tea house, and the trail is on the left hand side of the lake. When at the lake, in the centre there is a mountain, often with snow throughout the whole year, that is the end goal for this hike. It is totally worth it, and even in the hottest days of summer, there is snow lying around. However, this will not impact the hike because it is only bits and pieces at the end of the hike.

For more info of two out of the three hikes I mentioned, here's a website https:/…lake-louise-area-trails

Wishing you a happy trip!

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Tunnel Mountain Resort
Tunnel Mountain Resort
1,250 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Banff Gondola
Banff Gondola
7,785 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,927 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary

Staying downtown Calgary is the least convenient area for your drive to Banff. If you did not feel up to the 2 hour drive then at least stay in the north west of the city.

Late May will have daylight until about 9:30, lots of time to head right there.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Reply to: Calgary / Banff / Lake Louise Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted