We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

ny
Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

It is very late to plan for the early Aug trip (it seems that most of the hotels are sold out!), but Im trying to combine a business trip with a holiday ((12 days). I have flights booked: arrival - Vancouver, departure - Seattle . Im thinking 2 days driving from/to Vancouver/Seattle, which would leave me with 7 or 8 full days to be divided between Banff NP and Jasper, 3 days each plus 1 day driving the Icefiled highway.

So my questions are

1) which is the better route (without too much back tracking) Vancouver - Japser - Banff - Seattle or Vancouver-Banff-Japser-Seattle.

2) suggestions on the stops along the way

3) would you fit any other places to explore?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

hi

with the amount of time you have best to fly to Calgary and visit the park from there if you really want to see the parks and you can find places to stay. There is even a Calgary-Seattle direct flight.

so one suggestion Amtrak to Vancouver which is on a scenic route

fly Vancouver-Calgary

Banff and Jasper

Fly Calgary to Seattle

You would want to spend most of your time in a car then it is doable but you are basically doing "been there done that kind of trip" your choice (-:

OR Amtrak to Vancouver

Rent a car in Vancouver so you can drop it off in Calgary - one way fee is not that bad but you can not do that with a car rental from Seattle.

then fly back to Seattle if already have a return ticket,

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,542 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

August 3 - 6 is THE busiest long weekend of the summer tourist season in the Canadian Rockies, and you may find it very difficult to find any accommodation available for then at this point. So if your trip is over these dates, I would recommend that your first move should be to see if you can book any accommodation.

ny
Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

I actually put a reservation on hold at Douglas Fir Resort (any comment on the location). But going back to the original question - assuming i will drive - which route is the better option?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

hi

fastest to get there is #1 to Hope #5 to Kamloops and back on #1 to Banff

it is a good idea to drive up and down #93 but if you want to do this in only 1 day then you have Jasper to Clearwater to Kamloops to Vancouver.

Getting a car rental at YVR (downtown locations do not work) that will allow you to drop it off in Seattle will not be cheap. better to get back to Vancouver and take the Amtrak to Seattle. If you still want to drive have a look at Avis

Mentioned in this post
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Clearwater
Clearwater
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
ny
Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

Are you saying i should go north and then south via the #93 or are you saying I should spend more than one day driving the scenic route?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
7,910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

North and South on the Icefields Parkway (93N). It is one of the most scenic drives in the world, so is well worth doing twice. However, at this point, you need to see if you can even find accommodation in Jasper.

Douglas Fir, which is in Banff, is just fine. But you need a base in Jasper to drive the full parkway.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Banff
Banff
ny
Level Contributor
230 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper

I think hotels have availability if you call (need to call several hotels) - I made few calls with " we are solidly booked" response, but found a hotel with availability (sure its not the best / price option - but i have a hotel;)

So my itinerary looks like

Banff - 3 full days

drive from Banff to Jasper - 1 day

Jasper - 3 full days

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Reply to: Vancouver-Seattle via Banff and Jasper