We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
294 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

I kind of feel like dumb asking this question, but can I just go to a bank here in Minnesota and get some pesos before I go? I do know the airport I am flying out of doesn't have an exchange window.

If I can't where should I exchange when I land?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

I usually try to use my ATM card at the airport when I land or at a bank locally. You will get the best exchange rate for that day when withdrawing money out of the ATM. I've also exchanged money at the resort, but I'm not too sure how that compares to the exchange rates at the ATM. Have a great trip!

Arnprior
Level Contributor
731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

I always take US currency.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

Our Wells-Fargo bank in Des Moines has an international currency desk that has Pesos. The exchange rate is not as good as an ATM but at least you have some money in your pocket when you land. Most cities in Mexico of any size have one or more casas de cambio where you can exchange dollars.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

Chase will also take an order for foreign currency. They usually can deliver it in 2-3 days at no extra cost to you. They also will take it back for exchange when you return.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,984 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

I usually don't carry more than $100 USD on me when I'm going to Mexico. Some of the local banks no longer exchange USD for pesos. I always just use ATM's and get pesos. Many people and places will accept USD, but they will usually give you a pretty poor exchange rate. Same if you exchange money at your hotel desk. (I had lunch at a popular beachside restaurant in Bucerias on New Year's Day; they had a sign at the hostess station stating that they will give 11 pesos to the U.S. Dollar. The current exchange rate is about 14.5 to 1.)

If you have pesos left over at the end of your trip, just keep them to get you started when you travel to Mexico again.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

You can call your bank ahead of time to order some pesos to get you through the first day. You usually get a better rate at the banks in Mexico or use the ATMs. The casa de cambio at the airport doesn't give you the best rate, but at least it is convenient.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

Hi Bronco.. you must be leaving soon! We were at MSP airport yesterday - they have currency exchange counter near Gold concourse (G)-right before Starbucks. We have only taken US dollars, in small bills ($1-10)- for a 5 days- no more than $200 for tips, etc. They love plastic too for larger purchases, just be aware your credit card company will charge a fee for the exchange (new in the past few yrs), however, if you use a cc-you will get exact exchange rate. Have fun!!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

Last time I checked the Offical Mexican currancy was pesos ....not USD or Canadian........

We just hit an ATM as soon as we get down there....the airport has two of them.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

They have always gladly taken US $$ - and CC. We've traveled for 20 yrs to Mexico .. and never exchanged for pesos. Just a matter of preference.

10. Re: What should I do about exchanging currency before I go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2009, 22:38