We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

Which Puerto Penasco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

Does anyone have any idea how far and how long it would take to drive from Tijuana to Puerto Penasco. I am an American military retired person that lives in the Tj area and I am trying to plan a trip in May. So I am trying to get information. Also because I will be going from one mexican state to another, I think there is a special permit that I am going to need for my vehcile along with my passport and tourist card. Any Experts advice and information would be a big help Thank You.

Bigred1034

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,159 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

The route is good. The place to stop would be Yuma.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

Yes, it is the best route. And no it is not 8 hours! It's about half that and it depends how fast you drive. Make sure you drive during the day and purchase Mexican car insurance if you haven't done so. Our drive was very safe, we didn't see any "cartel stuff". Just make sure you have all your paperwork in order and you'll be fine. Once in PP there are signs (when heading into town), we stayed at the Mayan Palace, slightly out of town, but so beautiful and private!! that state PP police do not hassle anyone driving a car with U.S. license plates--which was very reassuring. Have a great time!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

If safety is a concern, you might want to take I-8 from San Diego to Gila Bend, AZ, then south on AZ 85 to the border. Then Mexico Hwy 8 to PP, which is a little over an hour drive. This is the standard route for people from Phoenix or Tucson to get to PP.

Hwy 8 is well patrolled and extremely safe.

mtl
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

Hi, I'm travelling from Mexicali to PP. Hw 3 is safe enough for 4 women travelling in a car? Tks, danika

3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

We are currently in PP having driven from SD. I did lots of research and settled on the Yuma SLR El Golfo route.

There is a new toll road a little way out of SLRC that cuts across and eventually you turn left to join the 3 that comes from Mexicali. This then gets you to just before El Golfo where you turn left which cuts across rather than the road hugging the coast. Very few maps show this road.

Driving strictly at the speed limit with one pit stop it took us 6.5 hours including the border from SD.

3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

We are currently in PP having driven from SD. I did lots of research and settled on the Yuma SLR El Golfo route.

There is a new toll road a little way out of SLRC that cuts across and eventually you turn left to join the 3 that comes from Mexicali. This then gets you to just before El Golfo where you turn left which cuts across rather than the road hugging the coast. Very few maps show this road.

Driving strictly at the speed limit with one pit stop it took us 6.5 hours including the border from SD.

3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

Correction on the above. The route from El Golfo to PP does in fact hug the coast and does not cut across as reported above.

18. Re: Driving distance from Tijuana/Rosarito to Puerto Penasco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Penasco