We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biosphere

Mexicali, Mexico
Level Contributor
353 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Biosphere

We're going to be visiting Pto Penasco for a few days in July. We'll be coming from Mexicali and taking hwy 3 from San Luis Rio Colorado. I understand there is a biosphere park along that route and we're thinking about stopping for a while on our way to or from Penasco. What can you tell me about this state park?

Mentioned in this post
Mexicali
Mexicali
Baja California Norte, Mexico
Colorado
Colorado
United States
4 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biosphere

It is a volcanic range. It is on the highway between Sonoyta and PP. If you go there, only wear old shoes as the volcanic rock can ruin the soles of your shoes. I wouldn't go there in the heat. PP will also be very hot in July.

http://www.puerto-penasco.com/pinacate.html

Mexicali, Mexico
Level Contributor
353 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biosphere

Thanks for your reply and for the link. According to both, the entrance to the park is off of Hwy 8 between Sonoyta at PP. Is there also an entrance from Hwy 3 between San Luis and PP?

Edited: 08 June 2018, 08:23
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,432 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biosphere

I do not believe there is an entrance to the park from other than Hwy 8 between Sonoyta and PP. Map shows 2.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDir…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biosphere

Sorry I'm late to the post but no there is not an entrance from Highway 3 although the large dunes and whiteish Mt range to the east are part of the Reserve. The southern entrance is only about 15 miles north of Rocky Point along Highway 8 (Sonoyta to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point)). The next entrance is a bit further north maybe 10-12 more miles. It accesses the volcanos area with a loop gravel road. Interesting if you've never seen craters formed by volcanoes or sonoran desert terrain.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Penasco
Puerto Penasco
Sonora, Mexico
Reply to: Biosphere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted