We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biosphere

Mexicali, Mexico
Level Contributor
461 posts
113 reviews
Biosphere

We're going to be visiting Pto Penasco for a few days in July. We'll be coming from Mexicali and taking hwy 3 from San Luis Rio Colorado. I understand there is a biosphere park along that route and we're thinking about stopping for a while on our way to or from Penasco. What can you tell me about this state park?

4 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Biosphere

It is a volcanic range. It is on the highway between Sonoyta and PP. If you go there, only wear old shoes as the volcanic rock can ruin the soles of your shoes. I wouldn't go there in the heat. PP will also be very hot in July.

http://www.puerto-penasco.com/pinacate.html

Mexicali, Mexico
Level Contributor
461 posts
113 reviews
2. Re: Biosphere

Thanks for your reply and for the link. According to both, the entrance to the park is off of Hwy 8 between Sonoyta at PP. Is there also an entrance from Hwy 3 between San Luis and PP?

Edited: 08 June 2018, 08:23
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,833 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: Biosphere

I do not believe there is an entrance to the park from other than Hwy 8 between Sonoyta and PP. Map shows 2.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDir…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: Biosphere

Sorry I'm late to the post but no there is not an entrance from Highway 3 although the large dunes and whiteish Mt range to the east are part of the Reserve. The southern entrance is only about 15 miles north of Rocky Point along Highway 8 (Sonoyta to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point)). The next entrance is a bit further north maybe 10-12 more miles. It accesses the volcanos area with a loop gravel road. Interesting if you've never seen craters formed by volcanoes or sonoran desert terrain.

Reply to: Biosphere
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted