We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
11 reviews
Memorial Day Weekend

Am I crazy for wanting to go to Rocky Point during Memorial Day weekend? Someone told me that the border will be a mess to go through, and that they had to wait 8 hours to get through. This makes me nervous because I have a 3 year old. Is it that bad, or is this person exaggerating?

6 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,898 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

There are sometimes long waits to return particularly on Sunday and holiday weekends. I would think the 8 hours remark is an exaggeration. An hour or more when the crossing is very busy is normal. Others will comment.

There are some things that you need to know. I have been answering inquiries in this forum for over 10 years. Recently there have been a lot more reports about police intimidating people in Puerto Penasco to pay them for alleged traffic violations. This has always been the case in Sonoyta which is the Mexican town at the border, but avoiding that is accomplished by carefully observing speed limits (which are kilometers per hour, not miles; 20 kph is 12 mph) and any traffic signs. Such incidents in PP are more recent. Be vigilant there for speed limits, stop signs, etc. If stopped, and a traffic infraction is mentioned, ask to go to the police station and give no money. I know this is hard to do in the face of a policeman with a gun, but they are not going to harm you.

Edited: 08 May 2018, 10:00
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Thank you! I have read that the police can be very intimidating. We will most certainly be careful driving down there. The 8 hour think threw me off! I understand that it will be a bit lengthy due to the holiday, but not that bad! We booked our getaway at Las Palomas. I’m looking forward to it!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

but do plan on a long wait going back, early is best.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

We have gone down almost every Memorial Day for the past 12 years. We get on the road early and usually hit the border around 10:00 AM on Saturday. The longest wait to get in to Mexico was 30 minutes, usually less than 10. We stay the week so do not return on Memorial Day, but I know people that do. Even then, the worst I have heard is a couple of hours. Many stay over until Tuesday and leave first thing in the morning.

1 post
5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

You will have a great time just drive 25 going through Sonoyta once you get in the free zone your good and make sure to make complete stops! and not sure what you will be driving just make sure you do not have limo tint a lot of Arizonans have limo tint they will get you for that.Other than that the only bad thing I could tell you about rocky point is that your days are going to fly by and it’s time to go home.have fun and safe travels Salud!!🍺🍺🍺

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Thank you! We went and had an amazing time! We are going back soon! Cheers!!!

Reply to: Memorial Day Weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted