We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos+Zika

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
Mosquitos+Zika

My family is traveling to Rocky Point for 5 days at the end of May/First of June. I'm pregnant and wondering about mosquitos in the area. The CDC website doesn't report on regions in Mexico-just the country as a whole. Anyone know of reported cases?

Or the level of mosquitos in May/June?

Or any other relevant info?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

3 replies to this topic
Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
653 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitos+Zika

No one has answered you so I will try but my experience is with San Carlos not Rocky Point. Warm weather increases mosquitoes. Sonora has had a few cases but none that I am aware in tourist areas. I cannot say there is no risk. You can do all the things to avoid a mosquito bite but there are no guarantees.

My step-daughter is thinking about getting pregnant and decided not to come down to San Carlos. I think her risk is almost nil but I would never tell a pregnant or hoping to be pregnant person to ignore the warnings since the consequences can be so great.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitos+Zika

I was in rocky point in April and did experience a few mosquitoes. They normally love me and I get bit up. I did use deer-free spray and had no bites. I was also there last August and there was a ton of mosquitoes! We did not bring spray and we definitely got bit up. I found out I was newly pregnant on our trip in April and checked to see if there were any reports of Zika in rocky point and was not able to find any cases. They did say there were two reports of Zika in Sonora (the state that rocky point is in). I would say you have a very very slim chance of contracting it, but I would most definitely be using spray. Good luck to you

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitos+Zika

I travel to Rocky point quite a bit over twelve years and NEVER met a mosquito! I’m from the Midwest so I’m acustom to them. I was in a more tropical part of Mexico recently where the jungle meets the sea and even, there I had no issue with mosquitos. My most recent visit to RP was end of March and no bites on 5 of us. I think it’d be strange to see them where there are no trees or standing water such as rocky point.

Edited: 04 May 2018, 05:35
Reply to: Mosquitos+Zika
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted