We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the differences?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
What are the differences?

The Barceló Maya complex.....what are the differences between the 4 resorts? I'm excluding the Palace because of price. The best price for my dates is at the Beach and second best is at the Caribe. I can see from a map that they are side by side. Is it worth the extra $200 to stay at the Caribe. I missed out on getting the Colonial (which was what I thought I wanted) within budget so now if I want to stay at the Barceló I have to go above budget a little. Beach is $300 over and Caribe is $500 over.

I've already spent hours reading reviews and trying to pick a resort. I'm super frustrated....there are just so many places. It's our first trip to Mexico and I want a nice place but am not willing to break the bank.

HELP!!!

9 replies to this topic
Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the differences?

When are you thinking of going and what is your budget per person?

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the differences?

Just choose the cheapest one. In my experience they will place you at any of the hotels with availability when you check in. Unless they’ve changed something recently that’s how it worked when I was there. When you get to the resort the guard tells you which hotel to go check in to.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the differences?

6milliondollarpostmn....looking to spend $1500-1600 per person incl. tax. flying from YYZ. I would only stretch it a little more for some sort of preferred category. A little more would be another $100-150 each.

HappyBubble....how can they put you anyplace when a specific resort has been booked and all are different prices? I'm in Canada, perhaps our tour operators work in a different way?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
45,102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the differences?

Wrong forum

Barceló is represented in the Puerto Aventuras forum

And this question has been asked a few times

Best to read this current thread on the same topic

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g153510…

Europe
Level Contributor
566 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the differences?

Hi Careylw,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the Playa del Carmen Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Puerto Aventuras Forum.

Happy Travels!

TA_Joana

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the differences?

Thanks TA_Joana

Trying to book my first trip to Mexico and I'm not 100% clear on which area is which. There are so many beautiful resorts....it's very hard to choose one.

Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the differences?

Book the cheapest. Although canadian charter companies advertise section specific packages , the resort places you wherever is available on your arrival date. I see Sunwing and Transat offering Barcelo Caribe at $300 more per person than Barcelo Grand. They are exactly the same thing. Caribe is part of grand.

Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the differences?

Took me 5 trips down to arrive at the Barcelo. Pretty hard to top it. That said , for me beach / ocean / property outweighs food / beverage.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the differences?

Thanks for the info. We have decided to go to the new Hotel Xcaret. It was priced within budget and all the included excursion put it over the top. Plus, I was able to book a week later in February which is better work wise for me. The Barcelo will remain at the top of my list for next time.

Reply to: What are the differences?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted