We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked Barcelo!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked Barcelo!

Just booked for Jan. Hope I made the right decision ;) my 11 year old is celiac and needs to eat gluten free. Anyone have experiences with that here?

Booked through transat " Barcelo maya grand resort" apparently you can be placed in either beach or tropical.

Any tips or suggestions about this place?

14 replies to this topic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

lin! Finally! Congratulations, lol. :)

I have stayed there- your kid will love it. Lots of children there to hang with and loads to do. Take snorkel gear as there is good snorkeling down in front of the Palace section (farthest north part of hotel).

There is a big variety at the buffets. I stayed at the Palace but we saw the other sections and they were almost as good. I am sure these days they are aware of celiac and must have some GF options. Learn the Spanish for celiac and gluten free so you can make sure you are understood. Lots of rice will be available anyway!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

Yes tell me about it... phew... never in all my years travelling did I have such a hard time to book. Lol! Prices Played a huge roll this year! Figured it was time to try something other then the pacific side and hope we break out bad luck streak we had coming to this area weather wise, lol..

We always travel with a card that is in Spanish explaining celiac and no gluten, wheat etc.

Been a long time since we have been to a mega resort, not sure how I feel about that, lol but I'll get over it!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

Yup, it's huge all right. But at least it's close to Akumal to do a day trip there. And you can walk across the highway to 'Cenote Alley', too- definitely do that if you haven't been there.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

What do u do or see there? Both spots u mentioned.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,084 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

Akumal is good for snorkeling at the main beach/bay- almost guaranteed to see turtles. Go quite early if you do go, before the hordes get there.

Cenote Alley has 3 (or more maybe) really nice cenotes to swim and snorkel in. Makes for a nice couple of hours. You can easily go on your own, walk across highway and look for the big 'Cenote Azul' sign. It's about 150 pesos entrance fee.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

We're non swimmers/ snorklers..... would still. Like to check akumal out or maybe the tulum ruins but we will have to see how hubbys back will be for all the walking

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

You don't have to swim or snorkel, you can just go in the water to cool down and splash around.

At Tulum ruins, there is an optional tram for a small fee (maybe 20-30 pesos pp) that will take you from the parking lot to the ruins entrance to save on walking for hubby.

Or you might want to go to Coba ruins instead where you can rent either bikes, or a tricycle taxi with a Mayan driver who will pedal you around for an hour (tip well, it is hot, hard work).

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,415 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

Goodness too many choices now. How does one decide??? Where are the coba ruins be? That little taxi thingy sounds fun. There will be no chance for bike riding either .... not with his back. It may be a bit better by the time we go but it's been extremely bad lately. If it stays like this we won't be doing anything but going to 5th one day for a few hours and that's it.

Westlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

Just returned. Barcelo Maya has 4 "hotels" which are all interchangeable Beach; Caribe; Capital; and Tropical. The "Beach" has by far the best beach with no rocks. The Palace Resort is not available to use for those other resorts.

Depending on your lifestyle, we opted for the Premium Upgrade" upon arrival. Same room but you get a huge array of privileges including daily spa visits, a la carte restaurants every night, Premium lounge with special check in, check out, and concierge services. Top shelf liqueur everywhere. 10% off any purchase; etc. $25pp/per day.

If your hubby has back issues... you MUST use the water spa treatment area every day. It is a spa within a spa. Amazing (and included in the premium package).

Can't help you on the diet issue...

Mentioned in this post
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
413 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
The Hague, The...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked Barcelo!

Hello Bruce, thank you for posting here. Can you tell me please, if you can use the very dark blue looking pool with the bridges when you don't book the palace and stay at the 'beach'?

Reply to: Just booked Barcelo!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;