We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parasailing

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Parasailing

Can't find a post that is at all recent. Is parasailing safe in Ixtapa? Looks like it used to be sketchy. Maybe it still is? Any reputable Operators on the beach? Thanks everyone.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parasailing

We have done it two years in a row and we felt really safe. We go to the one between the Tesoro and Dorado Pacifico. I think there is three places you can go to on the beach. Ted&Julie

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parasailing

Thanks! I know it can be dangerous like anything else. My 18 year old Son and I are going to do everything Ixtapa and Zih have to offer. Mom is staying home to do all the worrying. My poor kids get dragged into the life of a crazy Dad living the Amazing Race on every Vacation. Hopefully they grow up to enjoy the people and the culture of everywhere they go!

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parasailing

There's lots of parasailing along the beach in Ixtapa, we spent a lot of time watching them fly by. It has it's dangers of course but we never saw anything bad happen, or even come close. They seem to be quite cautious when taking off and especially landing. There seemed to be 3-4 different places to partake in it.

Colbert, Washington
Level Contributor
785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parasailing

I too am very interested in parasailing but my hubby is quite freaked out about it. We are staying at the Dorado, is it true that it's only $20 per person? I read that on TA but it could have been an old thread.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parasailing

Hey nhller. When r u staying there? We will be at the Dorado on Apr 13.Maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal. LOL

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parasailing

Thanks funky . You seem to be the 'go to guy' about these things. I appreciate your comments!

Colbert, Washington
Level Contributor
785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parasailing

Qxflyer....we will not be there till Nov but that would have been awesome!. Let me know how it is!

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parasailing

Hi Qxflyer, this funky is female! My husband told me he heard it's $25. and the ride seems to last 10 minutes, so maybe 15 in all by the time the strap you in and then unhook you at the end.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parasailing

My daughter did it last week while we were at the Krystal. I think it would be better/safer in Ixtapa rather than Z because I've heard the winds can be quirky in the bay at Z. We didn't see anything bad happen in the week we were in ixtapa so she and her aunt did it the last day. I think it's $25 per person, if you go with someone, it's $20 each.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parasailing

Obsession is correct. If you insist on doing "Dope on a Rope" do it on the deeper longer beach in Ixtapa.

Statistically it is The Most Dangerous Activity you can do in Mexico. Now having said that it is true 100s do it yearly with no bad effects. However I personally know 3 people killed in this activity plus several more who suffered serious injury.

Insist on a spotter in the boat even if you must take turns doing this yourself for your fellow travelers. One of the biggest problems is the boat running out of fuel as many of these operations are run on a very limited budget. If that happens you do not float down you drop rather swiftly.

PS In spite of these warnings I must confess that I did this in Nassau, Bahamas 45 years ago loving it.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 04:02
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations