We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

I am leaving on June 3rd on a flight from Winnipeg to Toronto. I booked this flight in Feb using my airmiles. With a strike would I receive a refund on my airmiles used? I wonder if I should book a flight with Air Canada as I have a connecting flight the same day for France? Oh, such anxiety! I don't know what to do!

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,019 Reviews
from USD 109.95*
Best Seller
Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart...
1,394 Reviews
from USD 164.40*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,059 Reviews
from USD 149.95*
6 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

I'm pretty sure that by June 3rd, things will have been sorted out. If it was me - with a great trip to France planned, I would see what the situation is after the long weekend and then revisit your AC decision.

You will hopefully get your Airmiles back, but it might take a while.

Its so annoying for ordinary people. So much for WestJet's image as the airline that cares. Bah!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
66,426 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

<<With a strike would I receive a refund on my airmiles used?>>

The best thing to do is ask your AirMiles program. They are the only ones who can actually tell you the answer. Give them a call.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

I also booked a flight with WestJet for June using my airmiles. When I heard about the strike I decided to purchase the insurance available to protect my airmiles in the event something happens to interrupt or cancel the flight.

But, I decided to read through the entire Manulife policy before purchasing the insurance looking for coverage in the case of an airline strike and this is what I found (Direct quote from Manulife Airmiles Travel Insurance) :

Any delays, schedule changes and cancellations caused by the

following events are not covered:

1. Strike (other than an unannounced strike), labour disruption;

Which means, if the flight is cancelled due to the strike, we might (and I emphasize might) get a refund of the taxes we paid, but we won't see those airmiles again. S...O....L....Good thing I didn't spend more money on the insurance for nothing.

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

I didn't take any insurance for the airmiles flight but I did for the air France flight. However that being said if I missed the air France flight would that I be covered with the trip interruption / cancellation.

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

Thanks for your reply, I will wait out the storm.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike

Did you purchase your Air France flight through Airmiles too?

Reply to: Airmiles reward flight and WestJet strike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted