We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

11 posts
Save Topic
Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

Hi I am traveling to Québec and my husband who is a hockey player has asked me to buy him skates. Do I need to pay any extra duty or taxes to bring these home? Do I need to declare I have then in my hold luggage?

Best Seller
Niagara Falls Canadian Side Tour and...
1,015 Reviews
from USD 109.95*
Best Seller
Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart...
1,392 Reviews
from USD 164.50*
Best Seller
Niagara Falls in One Day: Deluxe...
1,056 Reviews
from USD 149.95*
19 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,560 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

hi

First it is not a good idea because not every boot fits the same feet so you really need to try them on otherwise they could become an expensive throw away.

If you do proceed with the purchase it is the UK that collects duties if there are any so you need to look at how much you are allowed to bring back duty free. Nothing to do with Canadian Border services.

and hockey is not usually what inline skates are used for so would make sure you are on the same page with terminology.

11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

Hi I am a little confused by your reply re Inline skates not being used for hockey. My husband plays both roller hockey and ice, it is the inline/roller skates he needs. The sizing should be okay as he has plenty old skates in he house so we know his size for each different brands.

Thanks for the other info that has really helped clarify the position and makes sense, I have ordered skates online from the USA before and did pay tax in the UK when I collected them.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
24,608 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

Lindsay ... you need to realize that in Canada we think there is only one form of hockey ... and that is the hockey played on ice. We know of course there are other surfaces/other types of hockey ... but to us, when someone asks about hockey we think of ice hockey.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

As for duty, as long as you follow the UK rules which is a total value of all goods you are bringing back are not more than £390. Remember only count the cost of the actual skates, do not include the taxes you will pay in this amount.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

I do realise that ice hockey is very popular in Canada however I thought my post was clear seeking advice on inline skates. I'm very familiar with all the terminology of hockey and was not being rude to the other poster on my reply about being slightly confused. I'm not sure why you would respond in that way when I'm seeking genuine advice.

11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

Thank you for the advice that has certainly made it clearer what I need to do. All hockey equipment skates, sticks etc are all very expensive in the UK and in Canada and the US things are well over half price cheaper. As he needs Skates I would be aswell buying whilst there as even if I did have taxes they would still be so much cheaper than here in the UK.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

"I would be aswell buying whilst there as even if I did have taxes they would still be so much cheaper than here in the UK"

Then what was the point of asking?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

She was just asking about the duty to pay. When you have something mailed from another country you do not get a duty free allowance, so there is a duty to be paid.

BUT

When you visit another country, you are allowed to bring a certain value of good back with you without that charge. For example if you are out of Canada for 48 hrs or more you can bring back $800 worth of good without duty.

To the OP, I am sorry people are being stupid. Some may not travel out of,the country and have not encountered the rules for brining goods bought in other countries.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 07:03
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

Because I was unsure if it was allowed to bring them back and if they were okay in the hold luggage. Once someone clarified it would be the UK that would charge the taxes I then had an idea how much roughly that would be as I have paid them before on an online order. Not sure why I would have to explain myself to you.

But seriously I don't understand why people are having a go about this, I asked a genuine question and in between nice post there are people being rude. So it's not okay to ask advice? And it's not okay to thank people and explain my plan following their advice?

11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.

Thank you NeilAlex, I feel better informed now. I did try to search the answer online but to be honest I found it all very confusing so thought I would find the answer here on trip advisor. I just didn't want to buy something to find out for whatever reason I was jot allowed to bring it home. This will be my first visit to Canada so its all very new to me.

Reply to: Taking Inline skates back to the UK.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted