We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Validity of visiting visa: Canada

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Validity of visiting visa: Canada

I was about to apply for Visit Visa for Canada. I have an Indian passport, and will be travelling from India. The website says that all applicants will be considered for a multiple entry visa, and it "will be valid for up to 10 years or one month before your passport expires, whichever is shorter."

www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp…

My passport expires in 17 months' time. So, I was wondering whether I should go for an early renewal of the passport, before applying for the Canada visa. Will the validity of the Canada Visit Visa (10yrs) be transferred to the new passport?

Thanks for your guidance.

7 replies to this topic
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,192 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

The way I read it is that if you apply for a visa on the old passport that visa would expire in 16 months time and would not be transferred onto a new passport as per this:

"valid for up to 10 years *or one month before your passport expires*"

If you think you may want to return to Canada in the future it becomes an economic decision for you as to whether to get a new passport and then a visa now or not. We cannot tell you what you should do in that regard.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 16:36
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,124 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

When are you travelling to Canada and for how long? It may be that your passport and a visitor's visa will be fine for the time you are here. 17 months means October 2019.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
3. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

Thanks, MuftiVancouver. I am not worried about this trip, which is in July 2018. The duration is about two weeks. But I would like to get the full utility of 10-year validity of the visit visa. My dilemma is whether to renew my passport this early in view of the Visit Visa that is going to be stamped. If the validity of the visa is transferred to the renewed passport, I can wait until Oct 2019 to renew my passport. So, the question was basically about whether to renew my passport or not.

This sentence bothers me: "[a multiple entry visa] will be valid for up to 10 years or one month before your passport expires, whichever is shorter"

Thank you.

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
4. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

I got your point. But when passports are renewed, the valid visas in the old passport get transferred automatically to the renewed passport. Just that the person has to travel with both old and new passports. Is it the same case with Canadian Visit Visa? I am reading in other forums that the validity of Canadian Visit Visa is not generally transferred to the new passport. Just wanted to verify whether this is correct or not. Thank you, Frommy.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
68,124 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

<<But I would like to get the full utility of 10-year validity of the visit visa.>>

Any visa you get now will expire with your passport in 17 months. A visa now will not transfer to a new passport, it will expire in 16-17 months with your current passport.

If you want to get a new passport that is fine. Once that is done, you could then get the full utility of 10 year validity of the visit visa.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,192 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

Did you read post #1?

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
7. Re: Validity of visiting visa: Canada

Thanks, Mufti and Frommy. Yes, it's an economic decision. I understand that there will not be any transfer of visit visa to the new passport. Your answers are of great help. Thanks again.

Reply to: Validity of visiting visa: Canada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted