We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless at Be Tulum

idaho
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Topless at Be Tulum

My wife likes to tan topless from time to time while at the beach in Mexico. Will this be frowned apon at Be Tulum by their staff or the guests staying there

How many women actually go topless at the beaches in Tulum?

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

Many Women go topless on the beach or nude-I do and I'm a guy. I will lay out nude but I will swim with a suit on. I don't walk around nude.

I would have her slip her top on to walk around-on the beach it's fine to go without.

Been to Tulum 35 times and counting.

Thomas A. Brown

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

Hi

I have seen this question so many times when looking through the forums! I guess, for me, the question isn't whether or not you can, but if you should. First of all, it is indeed illegal to be nude (including topless) on any beach, because all the beaches are government property. Federal land. Being completely nude in public is really offensive to most of the Mexican people, whether you are lying down or walking around. Police won't usually fine you, no. They have more important issues brewing in Mexico. And, like with so many other things in our world, respect and upholding one's beliefs have been swept aside by the biggest motivation: money. The main reason some nudity happens is because Italians and other Europeans who first started going to Mexico brought that tradition with them. And they keep doing it....while some Americans join in. One of my closest friends is from Mexico, all his family born and raised there, and I've asked him about this. All throughout his life they usually wore shorts and t-shirts to swim and on the beach. Not because they don't own a suit. Because of their beliefs. When we are visiting someone else's country, I think it is very important to go by their rules, their beliefs. It's about respect. Since a few hotels have made nudity acceptable, I think that's the place to participate....and the only place. Or, save the nudity for Europe where it is widely accepted, even appreciated. The respect we show as visitors, in my opinion, is the most important factor here. And that doesn't touch on the fact that many people, who are not from Mexico, aren't in agreement with it either and don't want to be exposed to it. Especially those with families and young children. I mean no disrespect to you, Thomas, but I disagree with you. :)

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

No Problem-this is a form and your views are important. Although-Tulum Beach is different and if nudity is a problem-I would recommend an All Inclusive Resort and not to go to Tulum Beach where people have been going since the 80's to do this very thing. Clothing is optional in Tulum and the hotels will tell you it's not a problem to be nude on the beach. Keep the families and children in the resorts. Tulum Beach is very European and Fashion Set Chic-this is why it is this way-simple-Tulum Beach is not a Resort area for families and never will be-there are hundreds of resorts North of Tulum for this isolation and protection of viewing the human body and other resorts are also all nude with clothing optional-I would recommend asking an All Inclusive Resort about clothing before booking and avoiding an area where clothing is optional. If nudity is a problem-don't go to Tulum-

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

Tulum does have frequent nudity, its a much more european place.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
260 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

If you are asking specifically about be live riviera maya there are many Europeans there and many topless sunbathers

idaho
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

Geeze....i feel like i just got scolded from my mother...Thanks SLN23???

Well, i think what i've gathered is...its completley fine. outside of a couple uptight people, if my wife chooses to, she won't feel out of place.

thanks for the hlep guy!

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

Oh, sorry, mnymaker, I didn't mean to offend. So, I apologize, truly. Let's not make hasty judgments. I'm not uptight. By any means.

Boy, I hesitated to say anything, for fear of the backlash. Only one other time have I seen someone post an opinion against nudity on any TA forum in Mexico. And I think it was a fair thing for her to say, because it sure got me thinking...and why I asked my Mexican friend and his family about this issue. Sometimes only one side of a topic is spoken here. And I think it should be okay to state another opinion, even if not the one some people want to hear. And I was really speaking to Thomas, although I meant no offense to him, either. Being an American, albeit the fact you've been 35 times, does not give you the authority to give the green light on a Mexican social norm..... to people who maybe post here because they really don't know the answer to a question. If you are the "expert" of a destination, I think a balanced answer, like about the fact it is illegal, actually, and it IS indeed offensive to most Mexican people, would be appropriate, I should think. Most Mexcian people are very religious. Most wear their clothes, even when swimming. I'm not sure it's okay to just say: "I do it, have been doing it since the 80's, so it's okay." That's just not a complete answer IMO. I have looked at dozens of hotels in Tulum, and not one of the ones I looked at said "clothing optional." Not one. Yes, I know there are a few specific resorts in the outside area that promote this.... perhaps that is why they do so?? To subtly encourage people with the goal to be any form of nude to do so in a more appropriate place? I also understand there may be many Europeans who do this in Tulum. But they aren't the locals. They are also guests. :) Just doing it, having no one stop you, does not necessarily mean it is, on all levels, okay. Our social norms may not be the social norm of the place we are visiting. I always think about that when I travel. I know I don't want to promote that negative opinion many other cultures have about Americans. But, I know people will do what they like. :) I have no personal agenda here. Just posting another view...

8. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 09:05
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

mnymaker,

My wife and I returned from Be Tulum in early March and there were many women on the beach sunbathing topless. None of the staff seemed to be offended by it so I wouldn't worry.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
430 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Topless at Be Tulum

You wouldn't know it was illegal or frowned upon, given the number of topless (and occassionally nude) people around Tulum, Akumal, or Cancun. It's true most of them are foreigners, although we did chat w/ a young Mexican lady (tourist) who was topless.

Out of curiousity, I checked if topless/nudity is legal in Miami Beach, where there's more topless/nude people than you'd see around Tulum or Cancun. Technically it's illegal in Miami Beach, but you sure wouldn't know it.