We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public beaches/access from bike path?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
238 posts
12 reviews
Public beaches/access from bike path?

My wife and I will be staying in Tulum pueblo in July and will be renting bikes to ride to the beach a few times. We're planning on taking the bike path along 109. I've checked it out a little bit on Google Maps street view, but I can't seem to find public access to the beach along the bike path once it starts running parallel to 15.

Can someone point me to the closest public beaches to bike path from the pueblo, and the paths, etc to access them? Which beaches will be best/easiest to visit via bike?

6 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,999 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Public beaches/access from bike path?

Accessing the beach is pretty easy. If you go north on the beach road from the intersection, it's kind of rocky for a bit, but then a nice, sandy beach starts at about 1km from the intersection - near the Mezzanine hotel. There's easy public access there too. If you do Google streetview of the area, you'll see it. Then going farther north, there are various access points - some you need to ride down a dirt/sand road to get to the beach.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Public beaches/access from bike path?

Here's a video getting from Aldea Zama to the north beaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaOFlIeB5ls

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
238 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Public beaches/access from bike path?

Great, thank you. And the first beach area that you mentioned is Las Palmas?

Anything to the south of the intersection? Are all of the other beaches private and inaccessible from the road?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,999 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Public beaches/access from bike path?

There are plenty of accessible beaches to the south as well. All of the beaches are public. You aren't supposed to go across private property to access the beach, but there are access points along the way AND there are plenty of restaurants and bars where you can go through also - you'll need food and drink anyway :-) There are some smaller beaches just south of the intersection, and then at about Amansala Hotel, a long beach starts that goes south for miles.

And yes, that beach to the north is Las Palmas - I didn't know it had a name, but I looked it up on Google Maps and yep, it has a name!

Montana
Level Contributor
371 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Public beaches/access from bike path?

We often lock our bikes to the chain link fence at the little police casita a little past Mateos on the south beach. There's a 'public' access here, but requires a bit more walking to get to the 'main' beach. You can bike the beach road till you get to Ziggy's and lock your bikes up there, but we usually had to promise to stop by on our way back through and buy some drinks, which we always did, in order to access the beach here (they have lovely showers and bathrooms, btw). La Eufemia also has ready public access to the beach, but there was oftentimes so many bikes already locked up there that it was hard to find an open spot! For the north beach, there's a public access point past Mezzanine that's extremely popular; if you're lucky, there are vendors selling arancini...this part of the beach is usually very hard-packed, and we've ridden our bikes on the beach all the way to Zazil-Kin to swim and have beers (stop at La Pescadores for beer and food). The south beach is too sandy to ride. If you plan to be at the beach after dark and ride back to the pueblo, please bring the brightest bike lights you can find...the bike path is very popular with bikers and walker alike, and after dark, it can be treacherous.

Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Public beaches/access from bike path?

You won't want to go to the public beaches in Tulum.They are choked with seagrass, the water is horrible brown color and not swimmable.

Reply to: Public beaches/access from bike path?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted