We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum Worth a Visit?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum Worth a Visit?

Hello, in October I will be traveling with my children ages 7 and 9 for a week in Mexico before my husband joins us in Palenque. Kids and I fly into Cancun, and we are definitely going to spend 2-3 days in Bacalar before taking an overnight ADO to Palenque. I was thinking about 3 days in Cancun, then 2 days in Tulum, followed by 3 days in Bacalar. Is it worth staying in Tulum 2 nights? Should I consider coming straight to Tulum when we get in and skip Cancun (this would give us 5 days in Tulum)? Thanks so much for any help!

What are the must see's/do's in Tulum? Advice on what area to stay? Calm water is a must, and we love beautiful beaches. We want someplace comfortable and clean to stay, but I'm also trying to budget as we just took an Asia trip in the spring. I'm leaning towards booking a place on airbnb, but I'd love any advice on where to stay. I do speak Spanish.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bacalar
Bacalar
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
6 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum Worth a Visit?

Definitely skip Cancun! The sea is generally calm in October and there is plenty to do around Tulum. Check out www.realzama.com for a nice 2 bedroom.

Bacalar is wonderful!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Bacalar
Bacalar
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum Worth a Visit?

I saw Playa would be an option instead of Cancun as well. I'll check out the link - thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum Worth a Visit?

I might split time between Tulum and Bacalar...In Tulum ( non climbable )you have the ruins and beach, on the road to Coba is the Grand Cenote and Coba where they can climb the pyramids and rent bicycles...At Bacalar I like the Hotellito Paraiso right on the water.....In the town there is an old Spanish Fort the kids can climb around and southend of the laguna is the ground level Cenote Azul for swimming and a great restaurant too boot...

http://hotelitoelparaiso.dyndns.org

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Bacalar
Bacalar
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Grand Cenote
Grand Cenote
3,305 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Cenote Azul
Cenote Azul
1,200 Reviews
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,644 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum Worth a Visit?

" I was thinking about 3 days in Cancun, then 2 days in Tulum,"

This is fine.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Southern California
Level Contributor
15,072 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum Worth a Visit?

I'd also skip Cancun, too many high rise hotels but that is purely personal taste.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,128 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum Worth a Visit?

Bear in mind that the water in Tulum can be quite rough. Of all the days I've spent on the Tulum beach, I'd say 75% of them have been what I would consider rough for children (and for me, but I'm a wuss).

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum Beach
Tulum Beach
359 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Reply to: Tulum Worth a Visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted