We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area of the beach to stay?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What area of the beach to stay?

Hi

I've been looking at accommodation in the beach area of Tulum for hours, there's so many places and it's a bit overwhelming!

I was hoping you might be able to offer advice on which part of the beach is best to stay?

Or perhaps recommend some places?

We are a couple in our 30s, we will be on our honeymoon in the middle of August. Only staying in Tulum for 4 nights. We have a budget of max $200 USD per night (ideally less)

We are looking for something relaxing/romantic.

We are active people and won't be sitting on the beach all day, we will visit the ruins, Coba, some cenotes and possibly Akumal. We love local food/restaurants.

Do you think we should actually be staying in town instead?!

Sorry Im so indecisive!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
19 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
812 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

Well if you aren't the beachy type I wouldn't recommend staying on the beach. There's plenty of places to stay at in Tulum town and amazing restaurants to eat at. Just ask locals or taxi drivers where they eat at. My wife is Mexican who speaks fluent Spanish (from the USA) and was able to speak with a taxi driver who drove us to numerous cenotes, Tulum Ruins, Coba, and recommended local restaurants. We went to a few restaurants were there were ZERO tourists. It was great and the food was delicious!

I digress, having never stayed in Tulum town though I can't recommend anything there but IF you decide to stay on the beach I do recommend staying at Coco Tulum. Just check out there pictures. The place is phenomenal. It's on a nice stretch of beach, they have a beach bar with an occasional DJ, bicycles for rent, and a pretty good restaurant out in front.

Good luck.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 17:45
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Coco Tulum
Coco Tulum
878 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

Hi

Thanks so much for the advice.

I think we would like to go to the beach, but we won't just be laying on the beach all day everyday.

We're thinking about staying 2 nights in town, 2 nights at the beach. Maybe this is a silly idea though.

Thanks for the suggestion of Coco, it looks really amazing. Unfortunately the only rooms in our budget have a shared bathroom, normally we wouldn't mind this at all, but because we are on our honeymoon we want it to feel a bit more personal.

Thanks so much for your help

Halifax
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

We stayed on Cabanas La Luna last year and loved it. Very quiet and peaceful with a beautiful uncrowded beach. I think they will have rooms in your price range although they might be a little small. We stayed in a small room when we were there and it was fine for a few days but for longer than that I think I would have liked something a bit larger.

Mentioned in this post
Cabanas La Luna
Cabanas La Luna
788 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
369 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

Our absolute favorite is Rosa del Viento. It is the last beach club in the coastal hotel zone. this means that when you tturn right on the beach you have miles of virgin white sand to explore.

A boat tour into the Sian Ka'an biosphere reserve is a must.

Mentioned in this post
Rosa del Viento
Rosa del Viento
838 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
5. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 May 2018, 04:19

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

Sorry, your first sentence had me rolling so thanks for the good laugh "I've been looking at accommodation in the beach area of Tulum for hours, " :) I spent weeks trying to decide, doing research and flow charts (I'm a bit ocd) before booking our last trip last year. Luckily this upcoming one was easier, returning to the same place. Hope you your trip is wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

pstmstr - you didn't mention where you stayed after all that research?! haha

Thanks for all your tips I'll check them out now

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
989 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

Check also Los Lirios for your price range.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

pst, where did you stay that you loved? I'm also a little ocd about trip planning :)

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area of the beach to stay?

Amber and Lizzie, we ended up at Valentin Imperial Maya, the VIM. Not in Lizzie's budget so I didn't mention it earlier.

Planning a trip for this year, I had made this giant spreadsheet of pros and cons for Adults Only resorts, got such a jonesing for a trip I booked another resort for last year(cheap trip) to tide us over, and was hoping to make it to the VIM this year after reading the reviews and seeing a fantastic video posted by another TA member. I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet, it is all AOs though, wasn't interested in family resorts. Even leaving some off, there are still well over 40 in the area. Message me an email address if you want a copy.

Cheap trip was Occidental Xcaret, $180 a night, changed to Sandos Eco, (adult section) for 220 a night. For the Valentin the price dropped like a stone two days before we left, so the trip insurance I had allowed for a last minute change with no change fees. we paid $270 a night when we went last Sept.

Again, I didn't want to throw it out there because a budget of $200 a night wouldn't cover it. Occasionally I see it on sale, My Travel Agent found a swimup for $300 a night this Sept, so if you look at the room rates in comparison, you'll see you can get good deals.

So, if you have it in your budget, not top of the rate scale, but definitely not a budget hotel...And, you're traveling with no kids under 18, give it a consideration. It's a true adults only, so you aren't dealing with children at the pools or restaurants.

Here's a taste of the grounds...thanks Cedarcrest for pointing me to this resort. https://vimeo.com/196930505/4a461cc92b

Mentioned in this post
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
415 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
2,209 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reply to: What area of the beach to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted