We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

Hello,

We are headed to Tulum on Saturday for 8-nights and the weather forecasts shows an 80%-90% of thunderstorms every day. My concern is the storms aren't listed as isolated or scattered storms just straight up thunderstorms. Based on what i've read afternoon thunderstorms are pretty common but not so much all day rain.

I've read the last few days they've had constant rain. I'm wondering if anyone in Tulum knows the local forecast and or if there is a stalled front that is causing the rain.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
5 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

It has been a wet May this year, and the rainy season might have started a tad early.

Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

Thank you.

Are all all day rains typical for the rainy season or more pop-up storms?

Texas
Level Contributor
526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

In my experience, I’ve been traveling to this area for 20+ years, the only time it rains all day for multiple days is when there is a tropical depression.

I would say it’s not typical for it to rain all day, just periods of rain and sun. I’ve never been rained out an entire week.

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

I’m here now, leaving today. It rained for many hours on Sat. and then a couple of times on Sun. Yesterday it only rained for a short time. Generally May-Sep is the rainy season so you have to know that going in. It’s cheaper during this time for a reason.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?

So, 80-90% means the ODDS of getting rain are that, not that it will be raining 80-90% of the time. One small cloudburst may occur, you might get more, or then again...you might not get any (the 10-20% remaining). We always plan for the possibility of it being wet. Books, cards, dice, and we bring a Roku stick. Our hotel has great Wi-Fi and hook ups on the TV. Some hotels still have dvd players, so you could bring a few movies just in case you're room bound. Even when it's raining, in May it's going to be warm. Sit under an umbrella and read a book while having a drink! Some peopled don't even get out of the pool unless there's lightning.

Reply to: 80%-90% Chance of Thunderstorms Every Day-All Day Rain?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted