We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 Cenotes

Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Top 3 Cenotes

Hello,

We are leaving for Tulum on Saturday. I've spent so much time reading about seaweed and crime that I've not done of work researching the cenotes.

Any recommendations? Should we bring our snorkels from home or can we rent them at the sites?

Thank you,

3 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 Cenotes

You can bring them from home or rent rent them at sites. Up to you. Personally I bring my own but I'm an avid snorkeler.

Cenotes I like are Multum ha, Choo ha, Sac Atun, and Gran Cenote. Really they're in abundance and they're all pretty great. We actually ran into a lesser known one were there were only locals. Wherever you decide on you'll enjoy for sure.

Kansas City...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 Cenotes

My wife and I just returned from staying in Tulum for 5 days - we only visited the Gran Cenote, mainly because it was easy to get to from the city center of Tulum - only a $120 peso or so ($6 USD) taxi ride from town to the cenote (maybe a 10 minute drive each way). Entrance was around $150 pesos per person, which in our opinion was well-worth it.

One of the employees at our hotel we were staying at on the beach said in his opinion, the best cenotes were at Coba (which we were told has three cenotes all nearby: Choo-Ha, Tamcach-Ha, and Multun-Ha). Entrance fees were said to be substantially cheaper than Gran Cenote at around $55 pesos, but it also was more like 45-50 minutes away from downtown Tulum, instead of just 10 minutes. Our taxi driver who took us from Tulum to Gran Cenote also recommended the Coba cenotes, but probably more so because the taxi fare would have been multiple times higher due to the distance. From some brief research, it appears the Coba cenotes are more traditional, in that, they are an enclosed cave with a hole at the top, whereas the Gran Cenote's "roof" collapsed long ago which made it more like a sunken natural pool. After looking at photos of the Coba cenotes, I would prefer the Gran Cenote, as it is more open and bright. I suppose if you are more adventurous, you may enjoy the Coba cenotes more.

Regardless, it was one of the highlights of our trip, so I would definitely recommend it! And if you have the ability, it may make more sense to bring snorkel gear instead of renting it there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 Cenotes

They are all different and all great in their own way. I like Casa cenote too because it's big and open.

Reply to: Top 3 Cenotes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted