We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

Charlotte, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

Police just randomly pulled up to my rental cars at my Airbnb. There were about 10 of them with guns. They asked for my ID, passport, and rental regestrarion. After inspecting everything they took my photo. I’ve never been to this part of Mexico, so not very sure if there is anything I should be worried about, just curious. None of the officers spoke any English so I’m not sure what any of it was about. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
11 replies to this topic
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

Happens in the US. Not frequently, but it happens. Lots of police activity in Tulum right now. Did you meet the owner? I would not worry about it.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 05:27
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

I think the owner might be the issue, as many rent out their condos, villas in the US and other places on travel sites, but are not registered with SAT, the Mexican version of the IRS. They probably took your photo to build up their case against the owner for back taxes. I wouldn't worry about it either. If they wanted you, you wouldn't be posting on TA right now.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,548 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

I agree with Chris . They are probably making a case for the owner not registering and paying taxes on the house. A big push in many areas now to taxi Airbnb rentals.

It's not unusual for them to have guns. I wouldn't worry unless they pointed them at me.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,548 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

Sorry been that previous post should have read a big push to TAX Airbnb owners.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,982 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

I agree. There are so many AirBnBs going on now, none of them regulated, none of them paying lodging taxes. The town wants their piece of the rocketing growth in Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

The hotels and resorts are probably upset about the competition from Airbnb undercutting their prices, and not playing on a level field by not paying taxes like they (the resorts) do.

I would imagine that these resorts have a lot of clout with government officials, and therefore might be pressing for a crackdown on these Airbnb operators. You see that in a lot of cities in the US too....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,548 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

In the case of Airbnb, I tend to agree with the hotels. I once heard them called The Uber of the accommodations business and I agree

. Like Uber, they tend to operate without playing by the same rules the competition must play by. It seems to me that those who choose to affiliate with Airbnb should be taxed and follow the same rules as the hotels. A big push in many communities in Mexico to make this happen and I think it likely will.

Just my opinion, of course.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vermont
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

It’s funny how someone said that this happens in the United States. Simply put, it doesn’t. Yes, the authorities are from time to time involved with determining if a unit is an rental. But to make that determination they most certainly don’t send ten armed officers.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
560 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

I was talking about local governments in the US cracking down on Airbnb properties, trying to restrict or ban them outright, not how they try to enforce said restrictions.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.

Killarney, this just happened in Cali.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/05/08/pol…

Reply to: Police randomly showed up to my Airbnb in Tulum.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted