We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum beach, diving and itinerary questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum beach, diving and itinerary questions

Hello I will be in tulum for 4 days 1 day in Chichen Itza and then on to Mérida. I wanted to know if there is restaurant or bars on the beach in tulum or is it secluded? Also which dive operators are best for reef diving and cenote diving ?

I was planning two days of diving

One day at tulum ruins and the beach

The last day I am deciding between coba ruins or Sian Ka’an does anyone have any opinions ? I will be seeing more ruins around Mérida as well so I am leaning towards Sian Ka’an

One last question how much faster is a transfer from Cancun airport than the ADO busses ?

Thanks !

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum beach, diving and itinerary questions

There are several beach bars on the Tulum beach which are within walking distance from the Tulum ruins. It is a beautiful beach! We are headed there next week for a day trip from PDC!

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum beach, diving and itinerary questions

There are lots of hotels, restaurants and bars in the Tulum Hotel Zone along the beach. I prefer the further south end of the beach but it is all good. To get to Sian Ka'an Biosphere, you need either a rental car or a tour. Bus does not go there.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum beach, diving and itinerary questions

So you're going from CUN to Tulum first, and four days in Tulum, right? A private transfer service (such as NAST or USA or Canada) will definitely be the fastest way to Tulum and direct to your hotel, price for one-way will likely be $80-$90 USD plus tip. The bus is a good option if you have more time, there are some buses that go direct to Tulum from the airport with brief stops in Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen but you don't have to change buses. But there are only a few of those, so if the timing doesn't work out you'd have to change buses in Playa del Carmen and personally I find that a bit of a hassle with luggage and all.

Someone else can post the name of a good dive shop to work with, I know there are a few but I don't dive anymore. Best diving is really up off Cozumel, not so much in Tulum, but the boats can take you where you need to go. If you are cave certified, the cenote system is probably going to be the better draw for you, but you can work that out with the shop when you get the name.

The Sian Kaan would be a good day for you if you're not much on hanging out at the beach. There are a variety of tours you can look into, kayaking or birdwatching or the like.

If you want to hit Coba, you can do it on the way up to Merida, as the road goes that way. But if Chichen Itza is your main goal, you'll want to leave very early in the morning to get to CI as early as possible so you may not have time unless there's an extra day in there. You can hit Coba on your next trip!

Reply to: Tulum beach, diving and itinerary questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted