We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

Hi all! I'm having a really tough time choosing between The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez or Encantada for 4 nights in June. They all seem to have great reviews, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts between the four. My boyfriend and I are looking for the following items:

#1 Great customer service

#2 Near great restaurants

#3 A/C

#4 Near great bars

Thanks so much!

6 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

You didn't mention "being on a great beach", but that's my #1 requirement, so if that's one of yours, El Pez and Mi Amor would come off your list. Lovely places, but Mi Amor has no beach at all and El Pez's is not the best beach.

Encantada is lovely, small, intimate and on a great beach. Not sure on the a/c (check their site), but only a couple of rooms have a good view of the water (the upper units in front). But the food and staff are really nice. The Beach is completely different. Definitely has a/c, includes full breakfast and has a pool in the back, which is nice if the wind kicks up on the beach. I don't love the style as much as I like the style at Encantada, but a lot of people love it, and the upper units at The Beach have private roof decks with "plunge pools" (though they're really just big tubs that take forever to fill so you probably won't use them much).

Other places in that price range that I would suggest (and would prefer were I booking) are Ahau and La Zebra (though LZ may be higher than that price range these days).

If you want to try something up on the north beach (which is where Mi Amor is), look at Kai Tulum, a beautiful place, though a bit far from the restaurants/nightlife you may want.

And Nomade and Be, which are on the big south beach, but a bit farther south than I think you'd want to be.

Look at the map on alltulumhotels.com to see relative distances.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

I am here right now and just came back from Mezzanine and Mi Amore. The seaweed over there is really bad. I would pick from Encantanda and Beach Tulum. There is very little seaweed in front of the Beach Tulum. If Beachfront is what you are wanting then it cant get much better then Beach Tulum. Great location also to bars and resteraunts.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 06:55
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

Great thread and a difficult choice, have thought of Encantada y Mi Amor, but would be curious on what others suggest as well.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

Thank you all so much!! All of your tips are so helpful. Will look into Encantada. :)

Edited: 11 May 2018, 15:15
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

We loved loved loved The Beach (surprise birthday trip for my Wife) and just got back from staying at their sister property Cabanas.

Ocean front room with the roof pool is a win at either place. Love the staff there, breakfast at Ziggys is amazing, and it's right in the middle of the beach road so you can walk most places.

We ate at Mi Amor in October, beautiful hotel but bad beach.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
376 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?

We loved The Beach which is actually on a beautiful area of the beach! Absolutely has excellent customer service and 24/7 A/C (some places only turn it on in the evening until early morning hours). There are many great restaurants and bars within walking distance. We took a cab to dinner only once when we went to Kitchen Table.

Reply to: The Beach, Mi Amor, El Pez, or Encantada?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted