We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum in mid September

New York City, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum in mid September

Hi! I am looking to travel in mid September to Tulum for 5-6 days (only time I can get off). I have been to Tulum in both May and December before and didn't have any issues with rain/storms.

Does anyone have any experience traveling during this time? Will probably go around September 19th.

I have read that 15/30 days of the month are rain days, but does that mean all day rain? Or typically a passing shower? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
2 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum in mid September

Ive been twice around the same time in September. One trip was fairly dry, the other had more rain but when it did rain it was a heavy downpour for maybe 30 mins then back to beautiful (but very humid) weather. Only one of the days was mostly rainy but still fun. Quite an adventure if you are on a bike when it starts! Smaller crowds and generally cheaper prices, its one of my favorite times of the year to go.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum in mid September

I love September because it's one of the quietest months, and the most affordable, but that's because it's technically hurricane season (so get insurance just in case). It is hot, I think I've been hotter in September than any other month, but sitting in the shade on the beach it's just fine to me. Rain-wise, always hard to say. Usually it's the tropical downpour as described above, short-lived but exciting. Sometimes you'll get an all day rain. Sometimes none at all.

Another bonus to September is that it's baby turtle hatching season! So please, no bright white lights on the beach (not just flashlights--turn off your porch light if your room is on the beach, and encourage others to do so as well).

Reply to: Tulum in mid September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted