We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

We are travelling with Thomson Airways from the UK to Cancun in April (economy). We tend to drink plenty of water throughout the flight.

Our pass longhaul flights have been with Virgin Atlantic where water is included throughout the flight, but I normally purchase 1 x 1ltr water at a shop after security at the airport & take on board so I don't have to keep interrupting the crew for water.

Thomson rates are £1.60 for 500ml of water on board, it makes sense to get 1ltr bottles for less than this price at the airport. Do you think it will be frowned upon if I purchase 4 x 1litres bottles to take on board, is it likely to be taken away from me before boarding ?

At Cancun airport is there water widely available to buy in bottles after security to take on board ?

Thanks in advance

Prince Albert...
Level Contributor
434 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

I wouldn't think there would be any problem bringing water on the flight. There are lots of place at the airport after security to buy water.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

I think Thomsons Economy class have there own water dispensers for passengers to use themselves.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
339 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

I remember having water taken away before boarding and another time not. They always do a pat down before boarding. You might want to ask when you check in at the airport. Good luck!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

If you buy it once you have gone past the security bit you will be fine, they do not check nor will it be frowned upon.

Just for information Cancun airport is very expensive but it is likely to be cheaper than Thomson

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

Didn't find the airport that bad for bottled water and a good way of using up loose coins - saw people boarding a US flight having their water taken off them but we got on ok with ours - wonder if its something to do with the airline? In the UK as long as you buy it after security you can take it on ok.

Don't remember the Thomson plane having a water dispenser last year?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

I remember being thirsty but appalled at what they were charging for water past security. It was about $5 a bottle.

Take an empty bottle and fill it past security.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

We are flying United in the US & in their guidelines, liquids purchased from the secured area can be brought on board.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

I have seen unopened liquids confiscated. I would just buy it on the airplane.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

I remember being thirsty but appalled at what they were charging for water past security. It was about $5 a bottle.

Take an empty bottle and fill it past security.

I may be thinking of a different airport but I was sure there are drinking fountains past security that you could fill a bottle from.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking water on board flight & buying at CUN airport TOM Flt

Acually there no drinking fountains past security. Small bottle of water(0.5l) at Cancun airport as recently as Dec. 2011 was selling for about $3.75.

So you much better of buying on airplane. CO_Pilot54 is correct, I have seen too water bottles being confiscated before you board the aircraft. Prices at Cancun airport are 'crazy' and it makes JFK look like a bargain.