We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
America, The...
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

I've been to Riviera Maya a few times, but I know there are so many new hotels that it's hard to keep up. We are looking for a luxurious AI on a beautiful beach (soft sand, clear water). I've heard that Maroma Beach is lovely, but haven't been there. Any suggestions?

Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Maroma beach seems to be the consensus for best beach in Riviera Maya and Secrets Maroma is the only upscale all inclusive on that beach.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

SMB gets my vote so far for best upscale AI in the entire area. Best beach, food, ambiance and customer service that is beyond anything I've ever seen!

We are going to Excellence Riviera Cancun in Oct just to try something different so I will let you know how the two of them compare when I get back.

Beechluver

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

ERM, actually the El Dorado Maroma is also on that beach and is an upscale, 72 room, adults only, all inclusive with superb customer service. The food and drinks are wonderful, the beach is fantastic and the rooms beautiful. Granted, it is located on what would probably be considered the south end of the Maroma beach, but it is still beautiful. We typically walk the beach between the EDM and the SMB on a daily basis during our visits.

We have been there 2 times so far (just returned on Sept. 12) and will be going for many years to come in Sept!

They are running specials for traveling through Dec 22 - the info is on: karismahotels.com/sub-page/save-45-el-dorado…

Good luck!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
137 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

We had a great time in the RIU Palace Riviera Maya, very luxurious, good food and drinks, nice beach.

Check ratings ad TA

Have a good time

eMBie

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Although RIU Palace Riviera Maya is a very good resort but it has almost no beach now, as far as I know (erosion)...

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
137 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Dear all,

Indeed, erosion do to hurricanes is a problem at the beaches of Yucatan's Eastcoast. Therefore the government placed large sandbags, (referred to as "wales" on TA reviews), in the sea to avoid erosion.

Well, when we were there and had a beach walk, in our opinion, the position of these sandbags were the least annoying in front of the Riu's beaches, coincidence ? we don't know.

We were ad PLD in December last year, so, maybe the situation is not the same, although I can't recall any major hurricane attack since.

The case is that this is not a beach as great as Punta Cana (D.R.) but please note that beside a beach Riu themselves do have a quite large "sandy" area between the beach and the resort, an area approx. three times the size of the natural beach so big that it can be called "beach" (try to include picture, not sure this is possible in a reply).

keep traveling,

eMBie

cleveland
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Hi there check these out also

Barcelo Palace

Iberostar Grand

Grand Palidum resorts

The Barcelo and Pallidum have the most beautiful beaches they have snorkling,lots of water sports and a wonderful tropical feel.The Pallidum has lots of wildlife and has a adult section called the Royal suits by Pallidum.Check the Puerto adventuras sight.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Too many kiddies at Barcelo for my taste.

El Dorado Maroma is small and personal versus Secrets Maroma which is quite large but those are your two options on Maroma beach.

The Grand also has a very nice beach and clear water and is luxurious.

9. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 23:43
Boston
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicest AI's on the best beaches?

Just based on pics and research, it would appear that the section of Maroma Beach that EDM is on may not be nearly as nice as the "main" stretch of Maroma where Secrets is located...since the OP is all about the beach, thought I would try to clear that up for them.