We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Hello,

We have family near Merida and are thinking of spending new years down there in a hotel. Our baby will be 6 months old and though my wife is latin, we are pretty much white with blue eyes/blond hair. Should we have any concerns about kidnapping or crime since we will stick out as tourists?

Thanks,

MR

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

I, too, have blond hair & blue eyes and have yet to be kidnapped. Merida (and the whole of the Yucatan) is one of the safest, most welcoming places you could ever visit.

The greatest potential danger for any tourist is being involved in a car crash. So, buckle up & drive safely

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,420 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Another blond hair, blue eyed person here. No problems. Merida is a great choice--by far my favorite city in the area.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

My wife is from El Salvador and we are very hesitant to go there with him because of the crazy driving and the problems down there. We go every year and have a blast but with a baby its another deal. Any recommendations for a reasonable hotel to stay with the baby? If we do day trips to the beach or the ruins we can leave the baby in the hotel with her mother so something that would be nice enough to stay all day would be good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Luz en Yucatan is a lovely, colonial hotel with gardens, a pool, game room, etc. It's 4 blocks form the main plaza, so very convenient. See: http://www.luzenyucatan.com and many reviews on this site.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Forgot to mention---another BIG problem for blue-eyed blondes is........ sunburn! So, wear hats, sunblock, cool cotton clothing and keep well hydrated with lots of liquids.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,420 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Good advice--thats another problem I have known too well all my life.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

You might also consider a vacation rental. Some are more reasonably priced than others, but they mostly have pools and you and your family would have more privacy (not that I don't think Luz is a great place to stay... I do!).

Some vacation rentals can be found here:

yucatanliving.com/category/vacation-rentals

Also, check on vrbo.com and vacationrentals.com for more...

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

Well my sister, her hubby and long haired, wispy blond haired 2 year old son were here a while back and they got TONS of attention, of the good kind. Everyone asked 'Es niña?' and wanted to take photographs. I told her she should request donations for photographs. You will find having your baby along will be a great way to break the ice and meet and interact with locals.

You are absolutely safe here, believe me. I'd be more worried about going to Manhattan.

Happy planning!

9. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2008, 03:18
UK
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with infant to Merida...safe?

You should be concerned about crime. We were broken into and robbed whilst sleeping.