We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

here is our dilemma....right now on Expedia there are some great package prices to Isla from Calgary and we are tempted to book.

Any advice or recs out of these budget places we have found on Expedia? Cabanas Maria del Mar, Hotel Bahia Chac Chi, Roca Mar, Posada del Mar, Villa Kiin.

After reading reviews, we are leaning toward Cabanas Maria.

We are sadly a bit limited as booking separately adds a lot to the price from Saskatchewan- in this case anyway...although if you have a good suggestion for a hotel that would be about 80 a night and better than all of those, I would love to hear it?

The above hotel with air range from $712 to 790 total per person with airfare (sad, but this IS honestly a great deal from here!).

But we would be open to booking air only (about $1050 total for two) and then a hotel not offered by Expedia if it works out better- we are okay with just having a hotel booked for the first night and then doing a walk around check if that is advantageous? help! We also looked at nautibeach and Ixchel condos but the prices were a bit high, we are going to spend a lot on diving so want to keep the hotel about $75.

How is August on Isla- super crowded or not at all, typically? Other places we have been in Mexico can be quite crowded with nationals having their family vacations in summer- I know Isla is small so does the town get packed with people in summer or not at all?

We aren't that fussy - we like clean, fairly quiet, convenient location, walking distance to a good beach.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,173 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Actually, there are many other hotels that are much cheaper than the ones you mentioned. Those are more mid-range hotels - the budget properties are under $50 a night. As well, if you are going in August, that is low season and many places are cheaper than that. There are several agents that book directly for Isla - I would book your flight and then use one of the recommended agents for your hotel. :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Thanks for answering!

So it's fairly quiet in town in summer?

I guess I should say we really don't want to stay at too much of a lesser hotel than that. Perhaps I am fussier than I thought?! The one time we stayed at a truly budget in hotel in Cabo we were miserable all week. It was really more like a hostel than a hotel, though.

Out of those I listed, anyone have any recommendations which to pick? We really are stumped. Kiin looks nice enough, but not a great location. Roca Mar and Cabanas Maria look good, but reviews are very mixed. The Bahia Chac Chi looks nice and right by the ferry is a good location, but it looks a bit too sterile and modern for me. but- it gets by far the best reviews, too. Hmmm.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Have you read some of the traveler recommendations for the hotels that are listed? We have stayed at Posada, and liked it. August is low season, so the rooms are much less than in high season...and the island is not as busy, which, depending what you want, may or may not suit you.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Thanks, kasha.

Yes, we have read all the reviews....my head is swimming, lol.

The one with the best reviews by far is the Bahic Chac Chi...we might just go for that one, even though it's not beachfront, the location is still really good.

We are really torn between it and Cabanas Maria del Mar....it's beachfront, has Buhos right there....better pool....but the reviews are nowhere near as consistent.

Quiet is good for us....we will just be diving and reading and relaxing.

Are most of the restaurants open even in low season? that was an issue in Sayulita in August.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

RocaMar is on the Carribian side. Not much of a beach there. That side of Isla is rocky with mean waves.

Bahia Chac Chi is right on Medina. I have not stayed there, but it seems like it would be noisy.

The two hotels listed above are on the south end of centro.

Villa Kin is right down the road from Cabanas Maria, but looks a little tired and run down.

Cabanas Maria Del Mar are right on Playa Norte, the only road noise would be those going to Avalon, or Na Balm.

Poasda Del Mar is also right on Medina, but sits a way back off the road. It is right across the road from Playa Sol. There are a couple different sections of the hotel. The newer section has mini Fridge, and a safe in the room.

IMO I would choose between the last two listed.

We will be in August also. we plan on Scuba and Whale Shark tour.

We got the best deal throught Orbitz this time around, and got $200 off with the 200entertain code

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla2011121.jpg

Courtyard at Cabanas Maria Del Mar

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla2011119.jpg

Street looking toward Avalon Na Balm and Villa Kin are down the road.

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla2011122.jpg

Street looking toward Playa Norte

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla2011118.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…isla2011147.jpg

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Of those I would go with Posada del Mar. Bahia Chac Chi is a bit of a walk to the beaches and in August with the humidity it can seem much longer, lol. Also, their pool is very small. Posada has a large pool, beach club across the street with free loungers for guests and a great palapa bar and onsite restaurant. If you book in the new building, you'll have a fridge and a safe in the room. Price for a room with tax, 76 dollars.

Rocamar has beautiful views and a nice little pool, but no other amenities to speak of (restaurant or bar), and it's also a bit of a hike to the beach. Maria's Cabanas has a great location on Playa Norte but you must pay for loungers and umbrellas. That can add another 15 - 20 dollars a day to the room rate. Rocamar has the same problem unless you use one of the beach clubs where you can stay for free if you eat and drink there.

Also look at Hotel Plaza Almendros. It's in town but rooms facing the pool and courtyard are quiet. Small kitchenette and minutes to the beach.

August can be pretty busy because that is when most Mexican families go on vacation as well as many Europeans.

Here are some agents who could help you out. Check out their websites :)

Mornings in Mexico: http://www.morningsinmexico.com/

Kathryn’s Travels: http://www.kathrynstravel.com/

Lost Oasis: http://www.lostoasis.net/

Isla Budget Rentals: http://www.islabudgetrentals.com/

Isla Beckons: http://www.islabeckons.com/

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,173 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

I think I would pick the Posada del Mar - I think it is a great hotel for the first time Isla visitor. It is handy to everything, has the nice pool, a great bar, and is easy on the budget. :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

Thanks so much, everyone!

I will talk it over with my husband this weekend.

Sounds like either Posada del Mar or Maria del Mar would be best for us after all, but I will also check out the other suggestion too.

We will just have to look at the costs and see which way of booking works out in our favour financially. Thanks for the agents suggestions, we usually just book online the past few years though. :)

if anyone else has any other suggestions,ore reviews of those hotels too, feel free to add them!

Isla looks to be just our kind of place....we like the smaller more rustic towns. With great diving and whalesharks, pretty hard to beat! :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,994 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

I should add that a pool is pretty but really not much good in August....too warm usually to be comfortable, unless it is shaded and/or deep! haha

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie to Isla- August trip- Budget Hotel Questions

If you're going to go diving with Seahawks they're right by Maria's Cabanas so that's convenient. Their pool, btw, is shady but small, so may still heat up :) PDM's pool is pretty large and when we were there in August it was refreshing even though it gets sun. The only thing that would deter me from Maria's Cabanas is that you have to pay for loungers and that it's a longer trek to restaurants etc. In cooler weather it would be a nonissue but in the August heat and humidity every step counts, lol.