We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

Hi is there a duty free shop on our arrival to purchase cigarette and alchol? Cancun has one, just wondering.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

Nothing. You can't even buy a drink till you're outside the airport, as far as I know.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

The duty free section is located in the departure side of the side of the airport. Once you have checked in and gone through security you can shop at the duty free.

Any alcohol you purchase will be given to you after your ticket is checked and you are just outside the door on your way to the plane.

West Michigan
Level Contributor
506 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

as stated above...however, I think you will find much better prices AWAY from the airport for these items anyway. Duty free doesnt mean cheapest.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

You can't buy duty free upon arrival. I don't believe the "duty free" store in Cancun is really that.. They have a sign but the small print probably says "prices" and it's just to lure you in and make you think you are buying duty free. You can only buy it when you are leaving..

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know the cost of a pack of Marlborough cigaretts or a carton?. Coming from Connecticut, USA and they're $9 a pack - when I was in Cancun in August I could buy 2 cartons for $52

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

Linkslady is correct. A single bottle of Herradura tequila in the duty free was more expensive than the identical bottle in Mega. It is only a bargain when the have the "buy 2 get 3" deal.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

It is only a bargain when the have the "buy 2 get 3" deal.

------------

Yep. Which sucks all around when we can only bring back 1.14 L per person!!! Wish we could use our cigarette/cigar/tobacco allowance for liquor.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

I am pretty sure you can bring up to three liters of liquor and six liters of wine per person. You can bring more but you may have to pay duties on the excess. On 50+ trips I have never had Mexico customs check/verify how much liquor I am bringing....I just don't put it all in the same suitcase.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

Just went to cozumel in March -pack of marlboro at OXXO $4.20.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty free shopping on arrival to Cozumel airport

There are arrivals duty free shops in Mexican airports but I do not think Cozumel has one yet just duty free shops on departure. The allowance into Cozumel is

- 400 cigarettes, or 25 cigars, or 250g tobacco

- plus 3 litres of spirits

- plus 5 litres of wine

- plus 1 litre of champagne.... very generous allowances I must say!!!