We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Good morning fellow Coz lovers...

We have just booked the Tucan Sail Adventure and I was wondering what might be customary for tipping the crew for a days worth of service and splendor?

Thanks,

Luster

form3hide
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

I think I gave them $40USD total to split between the crew of 3. I only had $20s (stupid stupid me), and I couldn't justify $20/each.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Good for you, some people don't know it's appropriate to tip the captain and crew. For the tour we tip them $10 each. Just give it to the captain, usually Juan, and he'll divvy it up with the crew. When we take it out on a private charter we give them $25 each because it's a more expensive trip and there's just the two of us.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

$10 dollars a piece would be nice, that is what I did too hobie. Many people have no idea that it is customary and many depend upon the tips. There was only minor mention regarding tips. I called attention to it three times, where did you say?, is this the right place? A family of four that had a thrilling time and lots of extra service gave $5 dollars total. One couple gave nothing. Another couple and a single each gave $10 dollars total. This was a very average trip for the Tucan, meaning everyone had all expectations met or exceeded.

Many people are unaccustomed to tipping as some countries pay full wages or prices do include tips and none are expected.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

We took this tour July 2008 and had a wonderful time. We also tipped $10 each. The crew was very attentive and provided us a delicious meal and superior service. This day sailing was one of the best of our vacation. July 2008 was our second time to do the tour but it was just as much fun as the first....and we will probably do the tour again in a year or two. It's just a fun day.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
633 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

We took this tour in January and it was great. I must have been feeling generous that day because I think I gave them $50 for the 3 of them. It was worth it though and I'm sure they don't make scads of money.

form3hide
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Just want to comment also on how great the trip is. While my fiance did get very sea sick, I still had a great time.

The crew is absolutely amazing. I was asking them all sorts of questions about Cozumel, where they grew up, yadda yadda yadda. And they all seemed very happy to answer and talk about anything and everything.

They also seemed very interested in our snorkeling. They wanted to know what we saw, what we thought was interesting, etc.

The crew seemed genuinly happy doing what they were doing -- which you don't get quite often these days.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Sounds good!

That's about what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure that I was in-line, so that I don't look like the fool getting off the boat leaving with a smile on my face and throwing chump change in the jar!!! *wink*

Thank you for your help.

I am so excited!!!

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Jerry, that's pretty sad, if a family of four went to a restaurant and had lunch of the quality that Juan cooks up they wouldn't leave just $5 for a tip - I hope. Factor in that the crew waits on you hand and foot $5 for four people is pretty much an insult.

We've sailed this boat for almost ten years, and still tipped them before it was outfitted for the Adventure Tours and no one waited on us and all we had was a cooler full of water and beer and some tortas for lunch. I know Dan pays them fairly but on their off days Juan and Jaime take it out to fish for their own food, so I don't think they're rolling around in money.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

hobie, they were off a cruise ship where the tips years back got so poor the cruise line started adding them to their ship and sail accounts.

It is typical in the States that many wait staff are paid a below minimum wage because 85% of their income is from tips.

One hotel in Cozumel was selling packages that boldly stated the price includes tips to the maids. The maids were about to get up in arms and suspected the manager might be stealing their tips and it was discovered that the owner had been telling everyone that the price included $5 per person, per day for maid service. It was the owner that had pocketed the prepaid tips.

In some countries tipping is not typical as either full wages are paid or the wait staff automatically receives a percentage of the bill. Some people are cheap, some people simply just don't know or remain oblivious.

Like I said it was a very average tour for the Tucan, meaning outstanding! Even worse was the cruise ship family received extra service, a delayed departure time, the young son got to land the barracuda, extra spinnaker rides and they phoned ahead to have a taxi waiting to rush them back to the ship.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tucan Sailing Adventure - Customary Tip Amt?

Well, that's even worse considering the service that they got and that when Cozumel Sailing has cruise passengers aboard they usually cut the trip short to accommodate them getting back to their ship on time.

I have to comment on form3hide's statement "The crew seemed genuinely happy doing what they were doing -- which you don't get quite often these days." When we took the Tucan out last year as a charter and I was sailing while Juan and Jaime were kicked back just enjoying the ride, I asked them if the Tour deal ever got boring for them - sailing at a slower pace, going to the same places, waiting on a bunch of people, etc. They said it never got old because they liked meeting all of the people and making sure that they had a great experience. They look at it as them having fun as much as the passengers, which is a great attitude.