We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,609 posts
159 reviews
US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

Here is an article from USA Today regarding the upcoming charge for a pillow blanket kit. It would have little impact on me--even when I was in first class and they were readily available, cant recall using one. Maybe on really long haul international flights. But they seem to be important to some.

www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/item.aspx…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
1 review
1. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

We use to joke about being charged for a cup of water and using the toilet on international flights. It's not a joke anymore.'[;.][

South Carolina
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

Jet Blue has this policy in place already. The pillow and blanket are yours to keep for $7 and you also receive a $5 coupon to Bed Bath and Beyond. To me it's worth the price knowing that no one else has used the blanket and pillow before me!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

As much as I like to bash the airlines, this is not as bad as it sounds. They are not charging you for the use of a blanket and pillow, they are selling you a blanket and pillow that you get to keep and use again. Granted, they used to provide a previously used (some would say soiled) pillow and blanket to passengers for free. But things change and not always for the better.

The real question is would you rather the airline offering nothing or would you rather they give you a choice. At JetBlue they charge for $5 for a blanket and pillow you get to keep. I paid $12 at the Las Vegas airport for a neck pillow that I needed for a 4 hour red-eye flight home. If I could have bought one on board the plane for $5 or $6 I would have done that instead.

-FoF

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,855 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

"Bijoux Terner" stores are located in many airports the world over, including Cancun. They sell pashminas in a rainbow of colours for CHEAP. For anyone who's unfamiliar with pashminas, they're essentially an oversized scarf or small shawl. They're a wonderful accessory and make a GREAT travel blankie.

True pashminas are made from cashmere, Bijoux's are polyester but hey, whaddya want for $15! They scrunch up really small and so take up very little of your precious carry-on space. I never travel without at least a couple of 'em.

http://www.bijouxterner.com/content/home.html

PS - I'm not affiliated with this company in any way; I'm just a VERY satisfied customer.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
151 posts
5. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

American Airlines are already charging they offered it on our flight. The blanket is OK, the pillow they give you is inflatable, you would pass out blow it up!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
649 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

Air Canada also sells pillow and blanket (if you can call it a blanket) combos for either $5 or $7. I have my own neck pillow that I managed to find at a Dollar Store for, yes $1 and I use my jacket or sweater as a blanket.

7. Re: US Airways Pillow- Blanket Charge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 23:17