We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

We're debating whether we should stay here this coming spring break or the Iberostar which is an AI...has anyone stayed at the Pres that can tell me a little about breakfast, lunch, dinner prices? As well as prices of drinks by the pool. Anything else that you can tell me about the resort would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
319 posts
31 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

if you check the hotel reviews section for this hotel you will see my post in march 2008 - i have listed some of the prices there

Minnesota
Level Contributor
643 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

I haven't stayed at the Presidente, have stayed at the Iberostar and loved it and are going back. Food is great, drinks are wonderful. We loved the resort so much we never left. Totally depends on what you want. If you want to explore - Presidente, if you are just going to kick back and relax, I would say Iberostar. Alos if you are concerned about a budget, and/or like to drink, I would definately say Ibersotar. If you aren't concerned about a budget, or are just a causual drinker, then try the Presidente. My parents go to Ixtapa every year and typically spend about 50-75 dollars per day to eat (late breakfast, early dinner, no lunch), and have maybe two drinks. I would guess it would be similar here. We like to have more drinks than that and are on a tight budget so we opt for the AI.

Good luck

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

A 12 ounce can of Coke Lite with a glass of ice to pour it in costs $6.00 US at the Presidente. That's all I'll say except for that it was worth the taxi ride into town to eat dinner.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
4. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

Hi CanadaLove2travel,

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! It looks like you've already gotten some good advice. Please feel free to post any more questions you might have about your upcoming trip to Cozumel.

Best regards,

TA_MikeW

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
349 posts
93 reviews
87 helpful votes
5. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

As the man said, "it's different strokes for different folks." We've stayed at the Presidente and are returning in December. Obviously, it's what we like. You say you're going during "spring break." So, it depends on whether you're looking for "party time" or downtime. The Presidente is a good distance, physically and activity-wise, from the center of town, the cruise ship dock and the crowds. There are no pool parties or limbo contests. What Presidente does offer is great accomodations just steps away from a clean sandy beach (man-made), delicious variety of foods (from elegant to casual), great snorkeling right from the beach, a professionally staffed spa, exercise room, etc.

You can have a great time, be pampered and never leave the beautiful grounds or hotel property.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

We've stayed at El Presidente 12-14 times, Iberostar once. We're not AI people and enjoy the things that Jerry mentions quiet beach, pampering etc. We also enjoyed being close enough to town that it's only about a $5. taxi ride in for dinner or shopping. We ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel and went to town at night. Not sure if they still have their Happy Hour, but it's always been a fun way to meet other guests.

At Iberostar we didn't care for having the entertainment staff try to coach you into participating in the latest game going on. It's much more of a party atmosphere. But if you're traveling with kids there is a lot here to entertain them, pool activities, disco, etc. You're best bet here if you wanted to get out and explore the island is to arrange for car rental, taxi ride to town (if I remember correctly) was $25-30 each way.

So it really does depend on what you're looking for. But I have to add it'd be a shame to go to either hotel and not get off the property to check out the rest of the island (restaurants, east side, etc.).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
49,532 posts
165 reviews
124 helpful votes
7. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

The Presidente is usually the highest rated hotel and considered by many, the best. I also am not an AI type person and have no desire to be entertained on vacation. The Presidente offers excellent accomodations , well maintained facilities and excellent dining. If thats suits you--choose the Presidente.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
349 posts
93 reviews
87 helpful votes
8. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

I didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't go exploring.... especially if it's your first trip to Cozumel. I was just making the point that you don't HAVE TO leave the Presidente to find great food, snorkeling, diving lessons, rental cars, spa treatments, sandy beach, etc. It's all there, and top-notch. They also have an activities desk that can book excursions, tours and activities for you.

It should be noted, however, that you will be encouraged to accept a free breakfast with one of the Presidente Club representatives. Of course there's no obligation, and it's actually pretty interesting. If it fits your travel lifestyle, it's really quite a bargin. We joined a couple of years ago and get an upgraded beach-side suite for $89 a night, discounts on food and drinks, welcome gifts, plus additional discounts on other hotels, cruises, etc.

Timeshare presentations and incentives are the norm for Cozumel. the Presidente Club isn't a time-share, it's a travel discount club, and the marketing is comparatively low-key.

Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom...however, we've decided to go with the Iberostar instead...not because of anyones review only because we figured it would be less of a hassle going AI...we heard some fantastic things about the Ibero from friends so we decided to check it out..Thanks again!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
643 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Questions about the Presidente Intercontinental..

You'll have a blast. I call the Iberostar my little peice of heaven. We are headed there over New Years and am counting the days.