We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

SGeers
7 posts
Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

So I've been reading reviews on here for days and finally decided where I want to go, just trying to nail down a hotel. I'm looking to try to spend under 2K for my girlfriend and I to go this August and was wondering what AI's you would recomend. My big things are beach service for drinks, a swim up bar at the pool, and half way decent food. We're going to spend a lot of time just laying around at the beach so clear water is a big plus! I've been looking at the Whyndham, Melia Cozumel, Park Royal, El Cozumelo, and Fiesta Americana. Just can't decide on one! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

well..I am not going to help you out much with any of those resorts, but I do like/love Cozumel! We only went there once, 2 years ago..it turned out to be one of our most favorite vacations ever. However, we stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel. We really enjoyed the quaintness of the resort and that it had bungalow type buildings with only about 8 rooms per building. The drinks were good, the food was good and the beach was good.

Good luck in your decision making...

OH..and the best part was that it was inexpensive..we got it for $1100 for the 2 of us..not each..but for both of us..that included air, insurance, and transfers!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,620 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

The Melia can have yucky water but I don't know the frequency.

The Park Royal beach is small so that may affect your decision:

www.cancunmap.com/assist/park_royal.html

mn
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
3. Re: Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

If you want clear water in front of the resort, I wouldn't suggest the Melia, although it looks like a nice resort. We stayed at El Coz next door. Beautiful water. Lots of kids, though, I get the impression that the Melia has a bit more of an adult crowd. I would stay at the Melia if it meets enough of your criteria, as I think there are more restaurant options. But, El Coz does have a nice beach, great snorkeling, and beach bar service, but remember there are only about 11 "palapa's" (someone here counted) on the beach - you may have to get up very early to reserve one. We preferred the pool (sand is messy, you know!) If you've read reviews, then you know El Coz also offers NO poolside umbrellas - like not even one. You can go swim under this large covered area, but you do have to get out of the main pool to get in, and then it feels more like an indoor pool, not just a shady area. My humble (and very pale skinned) opinion! But for the price, El Coz is great. Can't speak for the others you mentioned, but really, you'll be on vacation and I'm sure Cozumel will not disappoint no matter where you stay - have fun!

Tip - if you do stay at Melia, but plan on snorkeling or beach swimming at El Coz, or stay at El Coz, and plan on walking the beach past Melia - bring water socks/sandals for the walk over - it's not far, but you never know what will be in the way rocks, glass, and yes, unfortunately, sometimes a little garbage.

SGeers
7 posts
4. Re: Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

Thanks all for your help,

I got a good deal (or what I think is a good deal) for my girlfirend and I. A six day five night stay at El Cozumeleno, AI with airfare for under 1400.

mn
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
5. Re: Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

That sounds like a great deal - have fun!!

6. Re: Having trouble picking an AI in Coz!, help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 12:20