We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Shoes

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
84 posts
17 reviews
Water Shoes

Do I need water shoes if I want to snorkel from the shore? Staying at Palace, and will probably make 1/2 day trip to Chakanaab and Money Bar. Will I need water shoes on entering the water? Normally, I would wade out a few feet and then put on fins, but don't know if I can do that on Cozumel's shoreline.

Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
1. Re: Water Shoes

Diving from a boat I only wear full foot fins. But when I do instruction from the beach I wear open heeled fins because I have to wear boots to walk out there. I see people walk out to snorkel all the time with no boots, but it's just too uncomfortable for me.

New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
2. Re: Water Shoes

Shoes and open heel fins can be nice, since some of the beaches may be a little rocky, but if you already own full fit fins, use them & don't worry.

You may have to tread lightly in places as you cross a line of pebbles & crushed shells, but it isn't bad and folks do it all the time. At Chankanaab, as I remember, it's easy to get to deep water while still in sand. Besides I'd rather tiptoe here and there, rather than swimming around with sand in my shoes.

BTW- don't forget to snorkle in front of Palace. There's lots of interesting life along the ironshore in either direction from the property.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Water Shoes

I highly recommend Water Shoes for any ocean activities. Most of the beaches, even the nice beaches at Palancar and Punta Sur have an area for about 4 to 6 feet near the shore that is made up of small stones and shells. This is very, very difficult to walk through without hurting the bottom of you feet without the water shoes. This is another trick that Mother Nature plays on us.

Have a great day,

RotarianDavid

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Water Shoes

Water shoes may just keep you from cuts but most of all urchins. I wear them 99% of the time in the water.Bass pro had some nice ones or you can get almost anywhere in Coz. Let me know how you liked the palace.

Claude Dill

5. Re: Water Shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 03:21