We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xcaret vrs. Xel Ha

gh1979
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Xcaret vrs. Xel Ha

Has anyone been to both. Can you tell me which you liked more and why? I don't think I will have time for both and I want to make the right choice.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Xcaret vrs. Xel Ha

I always like to compare the two as Xcaret is a place you go to be entertained and Xel-Ha a place you go to entertain yourself.

Xcaret has shows,spider monkeys, jaguars, butterfly pavillion, a place to look at sea turtles,an orchid nursery, and a few more things I can't think of off the top of my head.

Xel-Ha has a more realxed atmosphere where snorkeling and water fun is the main event, there's a river to float down in tubes with some high cliffs you can climb and jump into the water from, a floating bridge,& a rope swing into the water.

They're both good places, it just depends on what kind of day you want to have.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Xcaret vrs. Xel Ha

We went to Xcarat two years ago and had a great time. In addition to the things mapchick said, there is also an underground river which you can snorkel through (distance of about 1 mile) and several theater presentations based on the Mayan culture. Really neat! Have fun!

New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
3. Re: Xcaret vrs. Xel Ha

Mapchick has it right. Think Disneyland vs. Yosemite. The difference isn't nearly as great, but you get the picture.

Xel-Ha is still fairly natural, or landscaped to appear natural, whereas Xcaret is more like a theme park with lots of activities. While some find the "ubderground river" at Xcaret cool, it's really a sterile, barren tunnel through the limestone and cannot compare to the beautiful snorkling at Xel-Ha.

Choose which according to your own taste, but one note. Xcaret is best later, going into the evening because they have a few exciting night shows, but Xel-Ha is best in the daytime, where you can enjoy the snorkling & stroll throught the beautiful property.

Lastly, for either, be sure to bring biodegradle sunblock & mosquito repellent. Oil based products are banned at both because they harm the lagoon. If you don't have an approved brand, you'll have to buy it there.

4. Re: Xcaret vrs. Xel Ha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 23:19