We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaritas

Huntsville, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Margaritas

What’s the best place to get great reasonable priced margaritas?

30 replies to this topic
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
415 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Margaritas

Regarding Wet Wendy's...

Erick was the bartender there when it the margarita's were good.

Another vote for Dick's Dive. Good drinks, GREAT food. Not the cheapest on the island, but the best place to spend an evening...or an afternoon...or an afternoon AND an evening.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Margaritas

What is your standard for a "good" margarita? Do you like frozen? Rocks? Do you like flavors other than lime?

Margaritas use a Mexican liquor, but they're not a Mexican drink, so there isn't really a "traditional Mexican margarita" if that's what you had in mind. The most common tequila mixed drink in Mexico is a paloma, which is Squirt and tequila, or grapefruit juice, mineral water, and tequila.

There's no reason to use the best liquor in a mixed drink. It does need to have good tequila, but the best tequila is for sipping, not mixing. A smooth, balanced tequila that's excellent for sipping can get lost with lime juice and other flavors, so I favor a somewhat more brash or even rough tequila for mixing.

There's a common Cozumel recipe to which most bars default, using equal parts of tequila, lime juice, Controy (this ratio doesn't work with Cointreau or other triple secs because they're too sweet and lack the orange peel bite of Controy), and simple syrup, shaken hard with ice or blended with ice. It works great.

I order a plain margarita on the rocks with salt and get a good drink everywhere. If I want a flavored, blended "big as your head" margarita, I go to Wet Wendy's.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Margaritas

This is a bit off the topic, but I was interested in what Robert said about Casa Denis. We went there in February for the first time in our 6 trips to Cozumel. We were really stoked for something spectacular based on all the fabulous reviews. I really wanted to like this place but found it underwhelming, except for the location. Did we miss something? El Moro is our go to for the food, atmosphere and warm friendly service. Based on our experience at Casa Denis we won't be changing that any time soon.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Denis
Casa Denis
721 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
El Moro
El Moro
953 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Margaritas

Casa Denis is on our permanent Dinner list, like El Moro, Ablino's, Rolandi's, Casa Mission, Mister Taco, Buccano's, etc. So maybe you hit them on an off night?

It's always more fun if Adrian makes an appearance or if Felipe strolls by and plays a few songs.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Denis
Casa Denis
721 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
El Moro
El Moro
953 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Rolandi's
Rolandi's
708 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Casa Mission
Casa Mission
1,835 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Margaritas

We love Casa Denis and it's on our permanent list too. Balthazar there has been trying to kill me with tequila for 25 years.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Denis
Casa Denis
721 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Margaritas

Sam S, we went to Casa Denis multiple times when we were there in August and multiple times again in January, and Balthazar wasn’t there any of the times we stopped. We were so disappointed since he is normally one of the highlights of each trip. Not sure why we were out of luck each time and hope you are more successful in seeing him. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Casa Denis
Casa Denis
721 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Margaritas

Cozlover: OH NO! We love Balthazar but he was talking about retiring last May. Hope he didn't. I've been a salesman in one form or another all of my life but that guy is the Master! Watching him fill up the tables is great entertainment. He does get a lot of vacation so maybe that's it - we'll know in three weeks. gracias for the info. sam

Edited: 19 April 2018, 03:17
Muscatine, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Margaritas

Sam, Baltazar was still at Casa Denis as of late this March. He also has a “day job” in front of the shops at Vista del Mar, we'd often run into him there in the morning when we walked down Melgar.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Denis
Casa Denis
721 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Vista del Mar Boutique Hotel
Vista del Mar Boutique...
359 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
983 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Margaritas

Ah "a salesman all my life"...now it makes sense!

30. Re: Margaritas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 April 2018, 06:02

Reply to: Margaritas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted