We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacationing

Summerville, South...
6 posts
Save Topic
Vacationing

Hi I will be coming to Cozumel in April with my daughter and her husband and my two grandkids we are just very concerned with having two small children and all that we've heard about the cartel and the crime we just want to make sure that were traveling to a very safe place and we'd like to do some excursions there thank you in advance for all replies

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
29 replies to this topic
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Vacationing

'The taxi cab drivers are good at watching out for tourist.'

That is a fact. The taxistas ARE the defacto police department on Cozumel. They are in constant radio communication with each other and they KNOW what is going on. Also, a lot of them are related so it's a close knit bunch.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Arlington, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Vacationing

My concern would be getting from the airport to the resort. I have heard horror stories about that portion of your trip. We even had an issue a few years back (Mayan Riviera) when our taxi "broke down" then miraculously started back up after some cars following us decided to help for $100 each!!!!! I am not sure what would have happened if we didn't have cash on us!!! I haven't been back since. It was not a great experience to be on the side of the road in Mexico with people yelling back at forth at each other in a language I couldn't understand. When I told the lady at the resort what happened, she simply said "take a tequila shot! you are lucky to be alive!"

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,424 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,782 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Vacationing

teresa, just take the shared van from the airport. There is no reason to be worried.

On the mainland, use a private service like canadatransfers.com.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Vacationing

teresa: your 'horror' story is about the mainland. Cozumel is a Whole 'nother thing. Lots better, imo. I'm always sorry when Coz gets painted with the same brush as other areas in Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Arlington, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Vacationing

Ahhh got it. i didn't realize you could fly directly into Cozumel. I have been to Cozumel via cruise.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Vacationing

Please post again after your trip. I would feel safe traveling alone to Cozumel, taking my 11 yr old daughter or bringing my 2 grandkids along.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Vacationing

Spend a few extra dollars and fly directly into Cozumel. No worries, no problems. Enjoy Cozumel. Seriously you couldn't pay me to land in Cancun and take a a ride to PDC then get on a ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Vacationing

Right now it's a difference of $704 round trip between CUN and CZM for the two of us for our trip from DFW in three weeks.

Might that be enough, takemetoCoz?

We booked it in January at $1304.

For those of you who say it's always cheaper to wait? Well, it's not. Not from Dallas/Fort Worth anyway. Not in this market where American owns us LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
ohio
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Vacationing

Mal_Perro I would stay home before I would step foot on the Mexico mainland right now. Cozumel... I would go back tomorrow . We just got home.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: Vacationing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted