We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

I was wondering if end of Oct is a good time to visit Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza? Is it rainy or the rainy season is ending during this time?Also are there low cost flights between Mexico City and Cancun ? Thank You in advance.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

As far as Chichen goes, the rainy season usually means late afternoon showers, sometimes downpours. On my one visit to Yucatan in October, most days were dry (although humidity was pretty high), mornings very comfortable. It rained a couple of days, but only for short periods.

I was there in mid-October. Late October should be better.

Have a great trip!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

The rainy season in Yucatan and central Mexico is coming to an end and temps are lower than summer, so I'd say yes, Oct offers pretty good weather.

Mexico City, Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

I went to Chichen Itza today by using the public transportation (metro + bus). The forecast was for a cloudy day and thunderstorms in the afternoon. But in Teotihuacan the weather was sunny and warm! It turned cloudy in the afternoon but no rain. You should read the weather forecast before you plan which day you will go there. As EJ mentioned above it usually rains in the afternoon or evening. It's usually best to go there as early in the morning as possible so that you are done by early afternoon. I reached at 9:30 a.m. and leisurely saw everything and climbed both pyramids and took a break in between. I was done by 1:30 p.m. I feel that there is no need to join a guided tour -- next to each attraction there is information about it in both Spanish and English. Even in the museum on the site (highly recommended), all artifacts are explained in both languages. Archaeologists are still debating what life was like in those days so it is unlikely that a tour guide can add much value. I also highly recommend carrying water bottles, sun glasses, a sombrero (you can buy it at the entrance) and a light lunch. Public transportation is safe and cheap. Mexicans are extremely warm and friendly people and they have managed to help me even though I barely speak a few words of Spanish. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

I don't recall there being a metro to Chichen! VKS108, are you referring to Teotihuacan?

So, you can still climb the structures there, that's a surprise.

As to guides, they definitely overcharge at most sites, but I have always learnt a lot more when I have used them.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

Weather is pot luck in October - might rain, might not. You can get to Teotihuacan from Mexico City by tour bus, metro+bus or private driver. Chichen can be reached from Cancun by tour bus or normal bus. Flights Mexico City to Cancun start from around 150 USD return (although sometimes it's double that!).

Mexico City, Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

Sorry for the late response Londoner_in_Yucatan; have been travelling a lot and just saw your post. To clarify, one can go to Teotihuacan by a combination of Metro FOLLOWED by a 1 hour bus ride. The Metro does not go all the way there. This is easy, safe and cheap to do. Other posts explain in detail exactly how to do this. A common problem with tours is that one does not get sufficient time on the site itself.

Yes, you can definitely still climb both the solar and lunar pyramids in Teotihuacan! The views from the top of the pyramids are spectacular and a highlight of the trip. By contrast, in Chichen Itza, although the main pyramid is better preserved, one is not allowed to climb it.

7. Re: Is it Oct good weather for Teotihuacan and Chichen Itza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 17:19