We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Hi,

It seems going chichen itza myself can best use my time. It seems there is only one ADO bus per day to chichen itza (leaving at 8:45AM and coming back at 16:30PM) according to their website?

http://www.ado.com.mx

I do not know Spanish. Is it first class bus?

Also what is the cost if I take colectivo? Where can I taken colectivo going to chichen itza in downtown?

How can I hair a guide in English in chichen itza? Is there any restaurant in chichen itza?

Thanks a lot!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

That is the first class bus. You will find second class buses at ticketbus.com.mx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

The 2nd class bus will be a lot slower with many stops right? I cannot find 2nd class buses on that website acutally

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Is there any other bus company that offer first class bus to Oriente chichen itza? ADO's schedule is too late. thanks

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Those are the non-ADO flagged buses. I would take the ADO bus.

If you have time, you could take a taxi to cenote Ik Kil then back to C. Itza until the 430 PM bus arrives.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,594 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

All the second class buses listed on the ticketbus website are ADO owned but a slow way to go. If you want to arrive when the site opens, you could consider the 515 AM ADO bus to Valladolid and from there , the short colectivo ride to the site. The colectivos leave constantly from across the street from the ADO terminal.

For the return, you can either take the ADO bus directly from Chichen or return via Valladolid with Valladolid departures to Cancun at 125PM, 520 and 620 PM.

If you need help with the return buses ADO has an office inside the entrance building at Chichen.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Hi Robert,

Your advice is very helpful!

But I cannot find Valladolid on http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/ ?

What is the colectivos fare from Valladolid to Chichen Itza?

Can I take colectivos to cenote Ik Kil first? We also want to go to Ek Balam. Can we do Cancun->Valladolid->cenote Ik Kil-> Ek Balam->Valladolid->Cancun? What is your advice?

Also should I book the ticket online? is it cancellable? Or since the 515AM bus is so early, can we buy the ticket the date before the trip?

Thanks so much!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,594 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Not sure why you do not see the schedules for Valladolid on the website. I just looked and almost a whole page of First and Second Class buses listed. It is listed as Valladolid Yuc since it is in the state of Yucatan.

The first class buses are listed as ADO.

I don´t recall the colectivo fare. But also you will see many second class buses and two first class ADO if you look at Valladolid ot Chichen. The colectivo fare will be similar to the second class bus which is only 26 pesos. Actually, the second class Oriente bus might be your best option. I see more on the schedule than I remembered.

I can´t really tell you about the cenote information. I rarely visit them anymore.

It would be difficult to book on line since ADO only takes Mexican issued credit cards. But, yes, for the 515 AM departure you can buy anytime in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Hi Robert,

I found I need to select all bus brand to see it. Sorry for the confusion.

However the bus schedules for Valladolid->Cancun route on http://www.ticketbus.com.mx and http://www.ado.com.mx/ are totally different?! For example for 7/5, the last buses are 17:30 and 18:20 respectively on these two websites for ADO bus. The schedules on http://www.ado.com.mx are quite consistently with what you posted. Confused.

Again, sorry for being a pain, but I just could not see any 26 pesos 2nd class bus on http://www.ticketbus.com.mx from Valladolid->Cancun. Also is 2nd class bus slower than colectivo?

Thanks so much,

Michelle

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Michelle, using tomorrow as the travel day I get the same last ADO bus on both sites.

You may be mistaken on colectivos going between Cancun and Valladolid. Even if they do run that route, I would prefer taking a bus.

You may want to consider going to the area one day, see Ek Balam then spend the night in Valladolid.

Next morning, go to C. Itza and Ik Kil then return to Cancun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking ADO bus or colectivo to chichen itza (from downtown)?

Sorry, but i still found the schedules from Valladolid to Cancun are for tomorrow (6/12) on the two sites. The last buses are 17:30 and 18:20 respectively on these two websites for ADO bus.

BUT i do see many 26 peso bus between Valladolid and Chichen for tomorrow!

Thanks.