We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Documentation Concern

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Documentation Concern

PLEASE only answer this if you are certain....

I know that 12/06 will be the last month to travel to Mexico with a Pic ID and Birth Cert.....BUT...I will be going this August and will be traveling with my son. I have a HANDWRITTEN letter from my ex husband that states I am allowed to take my son to Mexico at ANYTIME. The letter has the official notary seal. MY concern is that the letter is handwritten. Will this meet the requirement for a minor traveling with only one parent. ALSO, my son is 12 and does not have a picture ID. Will this be a problem? I will have the letter and his original birth certificate. Please let me know if ANYONE is CERTAIN this will be sufficient.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
1. Re: Documentation Concern

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the letter has to be notorized, can someone verify?

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE Cancun Travel Survey Guide Book

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Documentation Concern

Please re-read my question....the letter I have IS notarized...

The actual letter is handwritten.

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Documentation Concern

Hi Michelle;

Found this link that should explain everything:

mexconnect.com/mex_/…entry

So far from what I have read, you will be fine as long as the Birth Cert. is original and has a raised seal and that the letter of consent is notarized, it does not say anywhere that it has to be typed. Picture ID for a child becomes mandatory at 14 years of age, so you will be fine. However, check out the link, it had alot of info you may want to know.

Cheers................................................................LD

Here is another link incase you need it:

http://www.towd.com/

It is the world wide directory of Tourism offices.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Documentation Concern

A THOUSAND TAHNK YOUS! You have put my mind at ease! I will read the website as well. THANKS!!!

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Documentation Concern

No Sweat Chica!!! Hope you and your son have a GREAT trip!!!!!!!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Documentation Concern

LORNADEE....

What about an ID...he is twelve and does not have an ID...

My 16 year old does not have a pic ID either (not driving yet)....

Will the birth certs be enough? SORRY...last question!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Documentation Concern

NVMND....Just re-read your post

THANKS

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,136 posts
157 reviews
8. Re: Documentation Concern

The advice on here is good and I think everything is OK. However, having worked for an international airline, I would remind you that your airline has the final say as to whether your documentation is in order and you will be allowed to board. So do the only safe thing--CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE and do whatever they say. Because, unfortunately, these issues are not always black and white and the only advice that counts is the advice given by YOUR airline.