We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

7 posts
Save Topic
Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

Hello,

i am planning to travel to Mexico on July.I will have short time, and i want a visit few archaeological sites - Tulum,Coba,Chichen Itza,Uxmal and Kobah.I will arrive in Cancun(i will stay for two days), and i will start with Tulum and Coba.Next day i will go to Chichen Itza, and i am planning on same day to go to Merida from Chichen Itza(Can i get a bus from Chichen Itza ruins to Merida?), and next day trip to Uxmal and Kobah and finally return to Cancun airport.Your advice for good tour companies....Or any suggestions.

Many thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
22,003 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
10 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

We've done these over the years but never all in one quick succession. Several of these are very large ruins and really deserve time. Also, roads are not really conducive to this type of quick tour. Uxmal is a day by itself (with Merida) and possibly Izamal (beautiful small town, large imposing church with Mayan ruin, horse drawn carriage tours). North of Merida is a large Mayan road and ruin at Dzbichaltun. There is also Ek Balam nearer to Cancun.

I'd suggest you do a little online research and decide which of these you really want to see and then arrange tours. Just as an example (no implied suggestion here): https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,522 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

What about Ek Balam

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

You need to list your plan so it is easier to evaluate. Example below:

Day1: Arrive Cancun airport. List arrival time. What do you want to do today and where will you spend the night.

Day 2: What do you do today. Travel details. Overnight lodging location.

Day 3: What do you do today. Travel details. Overnight lodging location.

Day 4: What do you do today. Travel details. Overnight lodging location. (this day may not be in your plan)

Day 5 (4?): What happens today? Any ruins visited? Depart Cancun airport at what time

Also you may have to skip one or more sites. Are any "must see"

Tours may not be a viable option but without more details suggestions are just guesses.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Taunton...
Level Contributor
897 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

I have a private driver that would be a great option for you, as you can control your trip and come/go when you want. We've done all the ruins with him and its been amazing. We've used him 15 times over the past 10 years...nice A/C SUV. Message me if you want his info

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

I love it when folks plan a July trip with the expectations of visiting many sites in a short time, then they arrive and it is 90℉ and 100% humidity and have not planned that it may rain during the day taking away time for visiting sites..

Tijuana, Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

Hi Lazar, your itinerary its a bit aggressive, however if you want to see all those places not spending a lot of time in each one I think is doable. I am not saying this is for everyone and I know this would not be the type of vacation that a lot of people will look for, however if that is what you are looking it can be done.

First you will need to rent a car. You can move to all those places on tours or using public transportation however due to the tight schedule you have a car will be your best friend to get the most of your time and to avoid as much waiting time as possible.

I did Coba and Tulum the same day, so I know that is possible, having said that, be aware that while Tulum is not too big, you can see it all (not in detail obviously) in 2 hours walking fast and not entering to the gorgeous beach, now Coba is quite an expansive site and ruins there are locate far from each other, so you may not be able to see them all in detail but you can see the most impressive ones as well as climbing the big pyramid,there I recommend you to hire a bike-taxi guy and ask him to move you around fast to the most impressive ruins/buildings, tip the guy according to its service. I will highly recommend you to visit Coba first in the morning, try to be there as soon as they open, spend there 3 hours and then go back to Tulum archaeological site, see the ruins(this will take you around 2 hours) and if there is time enjoy the gorgeous beach at Tulum ruins or at Playa Paraiso, near to Tulum Ruins.

The only day I see very tight is they day you are trying to visit Chichen Itza and Merida the Same Day. Chichen Itza is not very close from Cancun/Tulum areas, it will take you around 3 hours to get there, then Chichen Itza is enormous, there you can spend a full day if you want to see it in detail, fir me it took around 4 hours of quick walking, taking pictures, to see it all but not in full detail, all this in a very hot and humid jungle zone. To get to Merida center from there is around 2 hours if not a little more depending on traffic, Merida is a gem of a city there are a ton of things to see, do and eat there, in a couple of hours you wont be able to see it all but you can spend a very interesting couple of hours in the main square, visit the cathedral, casa de Montejo, the main plaza park, there are shows almost daily on the main plaza starting late so you might be able to see one.

Uxmal and Kabah can be done in one day for sure, Uxmal is around an hour and a half from Merida, this site is my personal favorite, you can see it all in around 3 hours, again not in full detail, now I dont think you would have enough time to see Kabah, as the avg time from Uxmal to Cancun is around 5 to 6 hours, so I would only recoment to see Uxmal and skip Kabah, this is risky though, you can loose your flight, I would only recommend to see uxmal if your return flight is very late night. Other options which suit better for your itinerary are a quick trip to ek-balam on your way back to Cancun or detour a bit to visit a Cenote around Valladolid in your way back to Cancun Airport.

Last but not least I would suggest you to reduce the number of sites you want to see so you can enjoy them a little more, however if what you want is to maximize your time it can be done but it may not be very relaxing

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa Paraiso
Playa Paraiso
4,298 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Kabah
Kabah
214 Reviews
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
214 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

I reccomend you the following program (if you would like to rent a car let me know and I can contact you, it is much easier if you have a car).

Day 1- Go from Cancun to Tulum Arqueological site (almost 2 hours driving from Cancun), you dont have to pay for a tour just go directly to the site and pay directly in the window, you will find signs all the way...easy.

Day 2- Go to Valladolid and stay there for one night, from Valladolid you can go one day to Ek Balam ruins and the Cenote Xcanche right next lovely for swimming and refreshing after walking.

Day 3- Go to Chichen Itza and after that go to Merida and have a nice dinner in "La Chaya Maya", a nice local Restaurant that offer typical yucatecan food. You can find a hotel room in downtown area and spent one night it worth. There are lovely stores for shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
La Chaya Maya
La Chaya Maya
6,065 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

Sounds likes AC maybe promoting a car rental business but other than that, some good suggestions. But as for a restaurant in Merida, you can do much better than Chaya Maya especially if you want to sample local cuisine. It is a large restaurant popular with tourists but you can do much better.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

Robert, last time I ate at Chaya Maya there was a line out the front door and I was the only tourist there, all locals, this is the one on Calle 57 although things may have changed in the 2 years since enjoying a wonderful fish in a package...

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip

Hi Ignacio,

Thank you for your amazing review.I know, this is not a typical vacation.I`m not going to stay in the beach an eating and drinking all day.For me everything is possible.I don`t know why people underestimate my plan.

I crossed Peru for 6 Days.I spend time in Lima, Cusco,explored the area around Cusco, i visited Machu Picchu and traveled 10 hrs to Titicaca lake just one way.I know what is 95 F i know what is 100% humidity, because I live in a country with same climate.Thank you for your help!I created this forum, because i need more info and help.I appreciate your help, and people who really help me.

Reply to: Cancun to Merida archaeological sites trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted